Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Motherboard and IEEE 1394-/Firewire-poorten

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Hello,

I have the intention for buy a new Mobo.
I must saying, I have no other choice, because the present Mobo in my HP pc. is broken, the possibility is there of course, that only the integrated GPU is broken, but I think that it is smart that I playing for safe and I buy a whole new Mobo, okay than:

Now found I an AMD Mobo without IEEE 1394-/Firewire-ports.
My question about this is, is it important that a Mobo has an IEEE 1394 Firewire port.?
What is the function of the IEEE 1394 Firewire port?

In answer for the reply, I will be waiting for this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Firewire ports are just another way of connecting external devices to your PC. Similar to USB.

If you are currently not using any devices connected by firewire then, no, it is not necessary that the new mobo has them.

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

IEEE 1394, or as it is more commonly known, Firewire was for a short time, the fastest transfer medium available. It is still used in some instances such as digital cameras and hard drives. Although, it is usually found on older hardware.

The new standards are USB 3.0 and eSATA (quickly being replaced by SATA 3).

To answer your question, I would not concern myself if my motherboard had Firewire or not. None of the devices I use have Firewire.

Only you can really answer this question. If you have any devices that you would like to connect to your computer that can only be interfaced via Firewire, then yes, Firewire is important. However, in all other cases, it is not.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Curse you ThunderZ!!! You have beaten me to the punch!
for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

Curse you ThunderZ!!! You have beaten me to the punch!

:P Yes. But your explanation was much more comprehensive. :thumbup2:

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Flattery will get you everywhere.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Yes I have external devices, just like ext. Hd., the Printer and Scanner, all those work via the Usb, so the Mobo without IEEE 1394 Firewire is not the right for me.
My external devices are created for Usb 1.1 and 2.0, that it will work only with Usb 2.0 is no problem, because, there are plenty Motherboards with that.
I will looking further for the right Motherboard and I hope that when I don't understand something, that I may a question again, thank you for your replies. :thumbsup:

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

From the ext. you list, none need IEEE 1394. So any mobo that dose not have it will work as long as it dose have USB.

#9 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

When I use external devices that makes only use from usb, than is it not important when the mobo has not IEEE 1394 Firewire and only has usb connections.

But when I use an external device that makes use of IEEE 1394 Firewire, than I must have a mobo with IEEE 1394 Firewire.

Alright, I understand.

I have and I belief that I said this earlier, an ext. hd., I have also a digital camera with an usb connection, I have a usb printer and an usb scanner, so at this moment is the IEEE 1394 Firewire not important, but the present Technical stay for nothing, it is possible that over 1 or 2 years there are only ext. devices with IEEE 1394 Firewire and usb is than maybe history,maybe is it smart from me, when I looking for a mobo with usb and IEEE 1394 Firewire.

I think that when I buy a mobo with IEEE 1394 Firewire and usb, is cheaper than that I buy a mobo without the IEEE 1394 Firewire port and buy the IEEE 1394 Firewire card apart.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

As Goose90proof stated HERE. For the foreseeable future connection types are moving to USB 3.0, e-SATA, and SATA 3.

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1 and 2.0. Meaning it will work with your current external hardware.

As you stated, should the need ever arise then you can always purchase a pci to Firewire card. IF they are still available.

#11 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1 and 2.0. Meaning it will work with your current external hardware.

I didn't know that, but thanks for that information.

Than about the IEEE 1394 Fire wire port or IEEE 1394 Fire wire Pci-card:

Yes maybe is it smart that I buy now a mobo without IEEE 1394 Fire wire and later when I have an external device with IEEE 1394 Fire wire, buy an IEEE 1394 Fire wire Pci card.
I think about that.

Also is it important that the mobo has a Sata connection, because, I have a Sata hard disk and I do believe that a Sata hard disk will not working on an Idea mobo, at least, a Pci-express mobo that is not useful for Sata, has not an Idea connection, without this, the device cannot make a connection.

I find it smart that when I have the possibility for buying a Pci-express mobo with Sata and Idea connections, that I must do that.
Because, when I doing that if I have the possibility, than can I when I have build in my Sata hd. Also build in an Idea hard disk.

I suppose that a Sata and Idea hd.ís make not a conflict with together.
Alright, I do now know enough about IEEE 1394 Firewire, I going looking now further for the right mobo.
Thank you again.

See you

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

Yes you will need a mobo with SATA connections in order to use your current hard drive. IDE connections as well as hard drives and optical drives that use them are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Although you can still find mobo`s with both.

#13 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

Yes you will need a mobo with SATA connections in order to use your current hard drive. IDE connections as well as hard drives and optical drives that use them are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

Although you can still find mobo`s with both.

Yes ThunderZ, that's true, I watch also to the price.
For a new computer have I needed, 1 motherboard with or without IEEE 1394 Firewire port and we had spoken about that, for only usb ext. devices, is IEEE 1394 Firewire not needed meanwhile the motherboard has usb ports, also is it important that the motherboard has lan rj-45, without this, you cannot make use of Internet and sound is important, is that not present on the motherboard, not a disaster, than you can buy this, than I must needed the processor, I think that I buy an Amd, because the Pentium is very expansive that is also the same for an I7 Core processor.
I suppose that when I buy the new processor, that I get also the cpu-cooler, if not, than is this not a disaster too, because, I use than also the cpu-cooler from the old machine.
For using of better pictures and presentations, I buy an ext. Gpu and of course the Ram-card(s), from my opinion is the Gpu card better than the integrated Gpu and for the wide screen is it needed that you buy the Gpu card and put it in the Pci-express slide.
With the Gpu card has you more graphical memory than the integrated Gpu.

Also buy I a new pc. tower, when I have these stuff, than my computer is finished.
The power supply have I and also the hard disk, cd\dvd-rom and ram player.
The power supply, hard disk and cd\dvd rom\ram player from my old machine, put I in the new Tower, also use I the connection cable Master-Slave from the old computer.
The power supply what I have is useful for Atx, Sata and Ide connections.

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users