Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot WinXP in Any Mode on Netbook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TeriBash

TeriBash

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

I will do my best to provide as much information as possible but I wasn't around to cause the problem so I only know what I see now and what I was told. My father booted up his netbook (mistake giving this to an old man, but that's for another discussion) and said that a box popped up saying he had several viruses. I don't know if it was a real warning from his AV software or one of those stupid fake pop-ups. However, he says he never clicked anything but the "red X" to close everything. The system then restarted itself and he said that it had been stuck on the WinXP splash screen for at least a half hour. I attempted every single boot option in an attempt to get something to load but the system always hangs. It seems to always hang when attempting to load the agpCPQ.sys file. Not sure if that is the source of the problem. Now I will say, I have very little experience with netbooks and am unsure how things are done. I know that he has no disks that came with it and of course without a cd drive. I am guessing I need to make some sort of recovery disk on a usb drive but am not sure what to do from there really? My alternative plan is to use my ubuntu usb drive and run the live desktop from there in an attempt to gain access to the disk drive. Is this a good idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I also forgot to add that it is a Gateway Netbook, not sure what model. The bios has an option for D2D Recovery, it is enabled but when I hit alt-f10 in order to access it nothing happens either and goes to the boot options screen.

Edited by TeriBash, 21 January 2011 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hi, do you own a copy of the OS if you do then download this .... http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ ... this will copy your disc to usb, make sure that the netbook is set to boot from usb in the bios settings, then follow the instructions here ... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310396 you need to do a repair to your windows file system.

Hope this helps.
Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

We really need the model of this Netbook.

If the BIOS of this Netbook doesn't support a USB device in the boot order, try the following. You will need a retail copy of the same version of XP as you have installed, eg Home or Professional.

How to Create a PLoP Boot Manager CD

Download PLoP Boot manager, and extract the files from the Zip to your Desktop.
Burn the plpbt.iso to a CD using your favorite CD/DVD burning software.
Insert your Newly created PLoP Boot CD and your USB Flash Drive.
Reboot your PC and set your System BIOS to boot from the CD.

If all goes as planned, you should now be presented with an alternate Boot Manager that can be used to boot your USB Flash Drive or other device.

Note: In some cases the Flash Drive will actually appear as a hard disk.

These instructions are found at this site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 TeriBash

TeriBash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

OK, I got some more information but still having difficulties. First off, the netbook is a Gateway LT20 (That was all I could find in the bios.) Now, I am still having issues with freezing with any boot options. However, when I change SATA Mode in the bios from AHCI to IDE I can get it to boot by selecting "Last Know Good Configuration" only. Any other option results in a constant loop of restarts during loading. The only problem is, that once getting in XP, the system loads IDE drivers and calls for a reboot which turns into a constant loop of loading XP/loading ide drivers/calling for a reboot, and nothing is being accomplished.

Hi, do you own a copy of the OS if you do then download this .... http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ ... this will copy your disc to usb, make sure that the netbook is set to boot from usb in the bios settings, then follow the instructions here ... http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310396 you need to do a repair to your windows file system.

I followed these instructions to a T, but unfortunately all it would do was load to a blinking cursor with no other text or activity. Using Advanced Mode on WinToFlash, I changed the task to "Create WinXP Recovery Console USB Drive" and this actually began to load until the progress bar filled and went directly to a BSOD.

If the BIOS of this Netbook doesn't support a USB device in the boot order, try the following. You will need a retail copy of the same version of XP as you have installed, eg Home or Professional.

It does support this. Should I still continue to try with PLoP Boot Manager?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

It does support this. Should I still continue to try with PLoP Boot Manager?

No need to, this was suggested as an alternative if the BIOS didn't support booting from a USB device.

I would suggest reading the Microsoft information that Allan provided a link to. Disabling the agp440 should allow you to get past the hang you are experiencing.

Do you own or have access to a retail copy of the XP installation CD? I will have to be the same version as you copy of XP, eg Home or Professional.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 TeriBash

TeriBash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

Don't ask me what happened, because I didn't change anything but it all of a sudden just started working again. Thank you for all the help everyone.

#8 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

Don't ask me what happened, because I didn't change anything but it all of a sudden just started working again. Thank you for all the help everyone.

Great!!! glad things worked out for you!!! :thumbsup:
Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users