Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade advice needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

OK, I wasn't sure where to post this so here goes!

I have a new Asus Netbook (PC1015T) running (actually walking very slowly)Win 7 Starter and two other machines (desktop and notebook) that run XP Pro. I have ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on both of the XP machines and both will run Win 7 64 bit. However I read somewhere that if I am running XP 32 bit I cannot upgrade to the 64 bit Win 7. (using an upgrade disk) Is that true?

If so then can I download the XP 64 bit upgrade first and then the Win 7 upgrade (64 bit). I will post system details below.

The desktop is a machine that I bought in 2002 and it has a 64 bit AMD Athlon processor on an Asus K8V Deluxe MB. The 64 bit version of Windows XP was not even available when I bought this machine.

The notebook is a MSI MS-1719 (penryn)(GX700) and also came with Windows XP Pro 32 bit. It was actually built to run Vista but I had it delivered with XP Pro (paid extra!) Some of the mechanical shortcut keys have never worked.

The scans showed that I would need to reload my programs after I upgraded to Win 7 and that the info for the NVDIA graphics cards was not available on both machines. I have checked and both 64 bit drivers are available form NVIDIA. There is also going to be some other upgrades to be done for printers and such but all-in-all it doesn't look that complicated.

Both of these machine were recently recovered after Malware attacks and there are not many files to be saved so I think this is a good time to do this. I have backups of both machines as of yesterday.

I have ordered the Windows 7 "Family Pack" and am suppose to be able to do all three machines. I understand that this is an "Upgrade" package not a full version. Maybe I should return this and just do each one individually with full versions as the money becomes available.

I also see that Microsoft "Outlook Express" is no longer included with the OS. I run "Outlook" (they never mention it!)and have a copy of Windows Office 2003 and have always used MS Outlook as my email client. Will I be able to do this after the upgrade? Will the MS Office 2003 SW run with Win 7?

Notebook:

Intel Core Duo CPU
T7100 @ 1.8GHz
1.79 GHz 3.00 G RAM (there's actually 2x2G sticks installed) this is what I hope to see after the 64 bit OS install.
NVDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Desktop:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3200+
2.00GHz, 2GB Ram (actually 3x1GB sticks installed, again looking to see all installed)
NVDIA GeForce 5900

OK this is getting too long.

Any advice anyone?

Soap

I would like to add. What about Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and AVG Free? I am assuming they are all compatible yes?

:blink:

Edited by sudsy, 21 January 2011 - 05:38 PM.

UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

To clarify, an upgrade disk simply means you are required to have a version (i.e. any version) of Windows previously installed. There is no "in-place-upgrade" from XP to 7, only from Vista to 7. I understand your confusion about going from 32-bit to 64-bit, but since an in-place upgrade is not possible in your situation, the question is moot.

In other words, you can certainly go from XP 32-bit to Win7 64-bit via a clean install using an upgrade disk (assuming the processor is 64-bit capable, which yours is).

And if I recall correctly, the "Family Pack" contains both bits (32 and 64) of Windows 7 capable of installing on 3 machines. So, you're good there.

Will the MS Office 2003 SW run with Win 7?

Yes, it will work just fine. You might run into compatibility issues with documents created with newer versions of Office, but the software itself will run fine.

Windows Live Mail is the new free mail client from M$. Personally, I use Mozilla Thunderbird, but if you're used to Outlook, feel free to stick to that.

Any other questions?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I just Love quick and concise answers!

Thanks, I feel much better about the whole thing now!

I am using T-bird on the new netbook right now and am getting used to it real quick. I also prefer Firefox.

Soap
UFO pilot

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Glad to hear that! :)

Happy computing! :thumbsup: