Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems escalate to black screen.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 tommymac

tommymac

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

I started this topic in the Windows Vista Forum. Here is a link to that post:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic374703.html

OK,!, Sorry to report this but here we go.......Last night I bought and registered my Pro copy of MBAM. Registered it on the computer then set up and ran the program. I also disabled my Ad-Aware live watch. This morning I was working with my investment programs and reading the news on the net, the machine stopped responding. It would not respond to anything, even the old control, alt, delete trick. Everything was locked. The only thing that worked was if I clicked the start button I could click on "Shut Down" which I did. After about 15 minutes the screen went black. That was about 4 hours ago, the delay in posting here is only due to family obligations. Now all I have is a black screen, I can see the mouse cursor but only after i move it the mouse, kinda like its in sleep mode under the black screen. The power button on the tower does not respond. The only other thing that I did last night was to check the disc defragmentation using the Administrator Command Prompt,(right clicked and ran as Adm.) It reported no bad sectors in either the D or C drive, so I did not defrag. I have been searching for the back up disks I made over two years ago but I must have hide them pretty good because I can't even find them. Thats about it.
Thanks, Tommy
MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

Have you tried to power off the computer (take out power cord) and power it back on? Does it boot up normally if you do so?

When tapping F8 on boot up, do you see the "repair windows" option in the Advanced Boot Options Menu? Or do you have a Vista install DVD?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

I finally did have to unplug the computer. I do not have the Windows Vista CD but I did find my back up disks from when the machine was new, (11-09). Since the black screen event I have done some things but the machine still seems unstable. I ran some HP diagnostics including, a basic test, a hard drive test a CPU test and a memory test. They all passed. Because I thought that some of the problem was caused by some program removal I was doing. I also did a system restore to about a week ago. That did not seem to help. The computer seems to have a problem associating files with programs. I have had to reinstall iTunes, MBAM and Avast. I have had to reinstall MBAM twice more due to errors downloading updates.
Yes I do have the "Windows Repairs" option when I hit the F8 key on start up. I also have the following HP options available on every start up; Set Up, System Recovery, Diagnostics and Boot Menu.
I would like to remove some programs from this machine but I am having problems. Is there a good program out there to remove programs,,,,,,,,,huh imagine that. Anyways, any help is very much appreciated. Thanks
Tommy

Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:28 AM

First of all, tap F8 on startup, select "repair windows" and wait for the Recovery Environment to load. Press enter to confirm keyboard layout and provide your logon details.

Then click Startup Repair and let it run. Let me know if it found/repaired anything.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

Start Up Repair ran in less than two minutes. It asked me to remove any cameras or portable music players and restart. There was nothing plugged into the computer at the time. It kinda makes sense though because the sound has not been working. I did see an option to View "Adavanced options for system recovery and support". I took a look but did not proceed with any of the options. Thats it. FYI With an earlier attempt to log into this site (3:30 am CST, couldn't sleep) I got the following error message "Appears to be an error with the data base", as a result I could not access the site. The time here now is 6:25 AM and the computer seems to be a little more stable than it was then. As a side note, our internet provider lost service for pretty much the whole day yesterday.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:23 AM

The site has had a bit of downtime today unfortunately.

How is the sound problem now?

regards, Elise

#7 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

When I click the sound icon on the task bar it shows sound animation but no sound yet.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

Can you left click the Speaker tray icon (next to the clock) once and see if your speaker was muted?

regards, Elise

#9 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

It does not seem to be muted. I've check everywhere I can think of and all systems seem go for sound. When I slide the sound volume bar it shows sound animation, but no music in my ears.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

In that case check that all plugs for boxes/headset are plugged in as they should.

regards, Elise

#11 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

OK, had a little problem here, I had a long post all ready to post, telling about the PC history and the kids and all of that, but before putting it up I thought I'd gather my external laptop speakers and try them, well in the process I bumped the HP power cord and WAMOO, lost power. Anyway the auxiliary speakers do not work. Headphones plugged into the front or rear appropriate outputs do not work, and a patch cord running from the front headphone output to the monitor sound input which used to work does not work any longer either, it hasn't for a few days now. The user guide for this system is very good. Trouble is it's only available on the desktop. I opened it and made sure I was plugging into the right place, there are six input/outputs available on the back of the PC for sound in and out. I am pretty confident that the files are not being relayed to the sound card or I have a bad sound card.
I do plan on recording several old LP's into the hard drive and making CD's, or putting them into iTunes. So it is important to me to get this problem solved. The basic sound is not that important as I do have a home entertainment center in this same room. Using it for digitalizing LP's is important.
Do you think that it is related to my other problems? The related error messages were, iTunes won't start because some of it's required files are missing, did a reinstall. And; This program does not have a program associated. So far I have had to reinstall iTunes, Quick time and MBAM due to similar error problems. However Office Word and Excel seem to be fine. Many of the problems date back to a few days ago while trying to install large gaming programs. I did a restore to a point before the installs but it didn't help. I know I am repeating myself but just thought I'd summarize to this point.

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Can you at this point run the steps in the Preparation Guide (linked to by Animal in your previous topic)?

If so, please post the logs and I'll move this topic to the appropriate forum.

regards, Elise

#13 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

I seemed to get the sound to work again,by reinstalling the driver, but only through a patch cord running to my monitor sound input.
I would like to remove some programs before I proceed. I would also like to purchase an external hard drive to perform a back up. I thought I'd have one by now but am finding the type I am looking for is not available locally. I think I will take a walk over to a Hardware Forum to learn more. The hard drive has 540GB of data on it currently. I am still going through the preperation steps. Perhaps my problems will go away through those steps. I'll get back to this thread once I have all my ducks in a row. Thanks for your help to this point.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:36 AM

That means the problem is most likely hardware related, not software.

As for help with the external drive, you can have a look and post here

regards, Elise

#15 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

While proceeding through the guide that Animal posted I decided run Vista file checher with the elevated Command Prompt (sfc / scannow). The tool found some files it could not repair, it did not say how many. I was able to, with much difficulty to get controll of the CBS file, it something like "User now has control of the file", however even though I was logged on as Administrator I could not open the file. Because I know that there are damaged files, Is there a way I can do a overall system file repair or is neccessary to determine which ones are bad and replace only those?
Also:
Malware bytes found a infected registy key in its last scan, would you like to see that log?
Thank you for the link to the hardware forum.
Tommy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users