Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected through registry cleanups?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bambi75

bambi75

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:41 AM

At the beginning of December, I posted a question pertaining to miscellaneous error messages I was receiving. Through the responses and discussion, it was brought to my attention that the registry cleaners I use (CCleanup and Norton 360's optimizing) may, in-fact, cause more detriment than good.

The member who assisted me mentioned, in so many words, that the registry clean-ups might have left me open to infection. In addition, she suggested the malware/spyware/viral files could potentially "hide" from detection tools due to CCleanup and Norton auto-deleting particular registry files.

My concern is now heightened because of an error Norton 360 is indicating. An orange "FIX NOW" exclamation point with a notation of "ATTENTION: Your PC requires disk optimization to improve performance" is ever-present. Following the programs instructions, I click the "Fix Now" box - which proves no avail. Instead I receive an error: "Drive B: Other Error."

I ran MalwareBytes (showing zero problems) and SuperAntiSpyware (showing 2 adware files that seemed to of been deleted); alas, the error still shows on my Norton 360.

As per the other member's suggestion, I am requesting assistance; in hopes of determining whether I have un-welcomed guests amidst my computer files.

I run a Sony VAIO laptop (VPCF122FX) and Windows 7 Home Premium OS. Should further information be required, additional specs are listed under my profile for your convenience.

With kindest regards and immense gratitude,

BJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Norton Disk Optimization is essentially a defragmenter.

Norton 360 can keep your PC tuned up and running smoothly by using a variety of techniques, such as optimizing your hard disk and deleting unused temporary files.

How to tune-up PC performance with Norton 360

Defragmentation is a process that rearranges and reassembles your files on your hard disk. Over time, Windows will slowly fragment the files on the hard drive and store parts of each file in random physical locations. As this happens, the files will take longer and longer to access so deframentation becomes necessary to improve performance. See the The Importance of Disk Defragmentation.

If you check the Norton Community forums, you will find numerous complaints about this feature and Disk Optimization alerts: Drive B: Other Error with recommended solutions.

There are even more complaints about the amount of time it takes to run. The main thing that keeps defrag from running successfully is having other programs running in the background including your screensaver and anti-virus program. This also explains why you may receive message alerts during Disk Optimization. In response to these complaints, Norton provides this article: Norton 360 Disk Optimization takes a long time to run.

The length of time it takes to complete deframentation depends on the operating system, size of the hard drive, number of files to defrag and defragmentation utility used to perform the task but it can take several hours. Once you start the defrag process, you should leave the computer alone as defragmenting utilizes a lot of system resources and will slow the computer.

If you want to disable Disk Optimization, follow these instructions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users