Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't use one of my XP pc's on my network (Network experts needed)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

Hello,

I have 7 pc's hooked to my home network. Five are xp machines and two are W7. I can share and move files and folders with all but one. It is a Dell Inspiron laptop. I right clicked on the folders I wanted to share with the XP laptop like all other XP pc's and selected share will all in the settings. The funny thing is I can see it on the network list but I can't access it. What else can I try? Is there a setting I am missing on the laptop? The laptop uses wired ethernet connection most of the time. All of my pc's are wired using 10 gb gigaspeed cable. I can see and move files on the Dell laptop from other pc's. But can't access the laptop from any other pc's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

Do you get any error messages when trying to access them? If so, what does it say?

It sounds like a permissions problem.

#3 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

Do you get any error messages when trying to access them? If so, what does it say?

It sounds like a permissions problem.

Yes it says

Windows can't access //MADILAPTOP

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network

Details

Error code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

......Windows can't access //MADILAPTOP.......The network path was not found

If that is the correctly formatted error. Please take note of the // slashes. Did you hand enter the share address?
The slashes should be \\.

#5 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

It was the firewall. I turned off the firewall and it worked great I can access it on all pc's. Now how & where do I change the setting to make it work? Seams weird all of the other XP pc's have firewall on.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

If it is the Windows firewall then it must have had file and printer sharing disabled.

You can adjust the settings by going to Control panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab > Programs and Services Make sure there is a check mark by File and Printer Sharing.

Edited by ThunderZ, 21 January 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#7 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

If it is the Windows firewall then it must have had file and printer sharing disabled.

You can adjust the settings by going to Control panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall > Exceptions tab > Programs and Services Make sure there is a check mark by File and Printer Sharing.

I checked that and it still blocks me from accessing it. There must be another setting in the firewall to set. It is not my anitvirus or internet security I checked. It is for sure firewall. Only works if i turn firewall off.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

What other security are you running that is different then the other machines that are working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users