Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connection gone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cobre

cobre

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Periodically, I lose the internet connection but the network diagnostic says everything appears to be set up properly.

new windows 7 home premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:44 PM

Are we talking about a laptop or desktop? Wireless or hardwired ethernet connection?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

Modem only or modem/router?

#4 cobre

cobre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hello, folks. 4 port Wireless/ 4 port wired dsl gateway(rebooting the box of rocks doesn't help) that we have cat 5 plugged into. We have 2 XP desktops, a wireless net book and a wireless printer (that I haven't even tried to map to yet)as well as the w7 desktop on the box. The w7 box is the only one that loses its internet. The network icon in the tool bar and trouble shooter say internet connectivity is still up but the web site it tries to connect to isn't answering. E-mail and internet are both down.

#5 cobre

cobre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

Oh, I can't ping from the gateway to an url when i use the gui tool on the w7 desktop but can successfully ping from any other place on the network. Also, the w7 can see the other computers and their folders while this is going on.

#6 cobre

cobre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:07 PM

New wrinkle while I was posting these replies ---- My wife lost the internet and wasn't able to recover it when she rolled the box back to the last safe point or the previous one. She's litterally hung out to dry right now.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

Sounds to me like your router is the issue, can you please directly connect a PC to your modem.

1) Unplug Router

2) Unplug Modem

3) Power Off Computer

4) Connect Modem to Computer

5) Power up modem

6) Power up Computer

Try it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users