Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Memory

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AndyMan315

AndyMan315

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

I have been REGULARLY (several times a day) getting BSOD because of a "memory error" I have 4G of memory on win 7 32 bit. A few months ago i discovered i was down to 2G (I assumed a cold solder point on DIMM B (whatever bridges to DIMM A 0)) If i take out one stick of RAM even with a cold solder point or WHATEVER makes one stick not work (Both sticks work tried in other computers plus exchanged slots) the computer won't boot without both sticks...Should I venture for a 4G stick in slot 0 and call it a day?! Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2011 - 05:49 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

I can help you figure out what the real problem is but I'm not really clear on the issue.

I understand...

You're gettings BSOD's

Those BSOD's refer to memory errors

To clear things up...

Have you already tried booting from each individual stick in DIMM slot 0?

If yes, were you able to boot successfully into BIOS with each stick?

Keep in mind...

You're computer will not POST or boot to BIOS without RAM. This is by design.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#3 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for the quick response. I CANNOT boot to BIOS without BOTH stick. I have tried each individually to no avail. When I run DXDIAG it only shows 2G of RAM active, yet each stick is a 2G stick and it won't boot with just one...doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. I am fairly computer savvy especially when it comes to hardware...but I am stumped on this one. Also bear in mind both sticks work fine individually and bridged on another PC...I am ALMOST tempted to get a new MoBo or just one 4G stick, but not entirely sure either would solve the problem. I run an intel MoBo and windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.

PS I just noticed after re-seating my ram most recently (and wiggling the slots somewhat forcefully :x) All 4G appear to be working and surprisingly while I was at work all day my PC never shut down once (That is beyond rare) So would that lead YOU to believe I have a bad Dimm slot or cold solder point?

Thanks again!

#4 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

PS I just noticed after re-seating my ram most recently (and wiggling the slots somewhat forcefully :x) All 4G appear to be working and surprisingly while I was at work all day my PC never shut down once (That is beyond rare) So would that lead YOU to believe I have a bad Dimm slot or cold solder point?

Yes and yes... you have a bad DIMM slot because of a cold solder point. That would be my guess. Now, there is a way to fix this but it is extremely unorthodox and not at all a good idea

BUT!!! It will work. I guarantee it.

Are you interested?

Edited by goose90proof, 22 January 2011 - 03:29 PM.

for3ver,
goose90proof

#5 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

I am always down for something unorthodox and not recommended...as long as it isn't MORE damaging :) Hit me!

Also, noticed today that when I got home the computer must have quit recognizing the other 2G...and I had an error message saying that there was a memory size reduction since reboot...would going to 2G be the cause of my computer crashing because it can't handle itself without the other 2G? :)

Edited by AndyMan315, 22 January 2011 - 07:01 PM.

#6 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Ok...

You can attempt to fix those cold solder points (if they are indeed the problem) by sticking your mobo in the oven at 400 degress farenheit for no more than 8 minutes.

The original purpose of this method was to repair a video card with cold solder points, however it can be applied to motherboards too.

My link

That link contains a guide for doing it and numerous testimonies from people that have tried this trick successfully.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#7 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

Oh my...well...it's something I might try because if it doesn't work I will need a new mobo anyways...SO I will try to keep you posted on that decision...I may upgrade my MOBO anyways so...I will let you know :) Thanks again!

#8 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Ok so I've been thinking more about this and I have some questions. What about the vinyl covered capacitors or some of the plastic components? Wouldn't they melt away?

#9 AndyMan315

AndyMan315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

So I took to being smarter than I usually am and for some reason for all the months this has been happening I have failed to check my BIOS to see which slot WASN'T reading. APPARENTLY it wass Dimm A 0. So I put both 2G sticks into B0 and B1 and so far so good! AWESOME! Thanks for the help, and yay for not needing to cook the mobo, literally!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users