Your decision as to what action to take should be made by reading and asking yourself the questions presented in "When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall?"
In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.
Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.
That said, this is removeable
Try Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP/Vista)
Using the F8 MethodRestart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode
>>>> Download this file
and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.
RKill....Download and Run RKill
Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.
- Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.
- Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
- Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
- A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
- If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply
If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe
which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.Next run Superantisypware (SAS): Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware
Free for Home Users
- Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
- An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
- If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
- In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
- Click the Scanning Control tab.
- Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
- Close browsers before scanning.
- Scan for tracking cookies.
- Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
- Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
- Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
- On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
- On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
- Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
- After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
- Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
- A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
- If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
- To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
- Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
- Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
- If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
- Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
- Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner
instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:
Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update
tab, select Check for Updates
scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected
, Post new scan log
into normal mode.
Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner
.This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator.
To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
- Click the green button.
- Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
- Check .
- Click the button.
- Accept any security warnings from your browser.
- Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
- Click the Start button.
- ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
- If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
- The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
- When the scan completes, push
- Push , and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
- Push the button, then Finish.
- Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt
file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click
, then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
- Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
- Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.