Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista black screen

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BakedDaily

BakedDaily

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

i have a gateway lap top with windows vista home basic, when i try to start it up it will go to the loading screen and then has a blue flash and restarts. I do not have the installation disk for the os .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

Hi there first of all try this :
To get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Then after doing that have a read through this link http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/help-troubleshoot-the-blue-screen-of-death-by-preventing-automatic-reboot/
Good Luck !

Edited by doinmeedin, 21 January 2011 - 07:24 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

I done what you said and i got the error code/problem but the site you gave me doesnt seem to help me....

I got UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

0xfffffa8002a576b0, 0xffffffffc0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x00000000000000000

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

That means it's having a problem booting to your hd. Could be a bad drive, problem with the mft, or you may have a floppy inserted that you forgot to remove (assuming your system has a floppy drive).

First step - visit the website of your hd manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to a cd, boot to it, run it. Let's see if your drive is okay.

#5 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

well i couldnt find the right utility to check the hd on this laptop.... its a gateway ml6720

but i did download and burn a boot disk for this version of vista and now i get past the loading screen but screen is black with white cursor and i can move the cursor. I still cant acquire the login screen.

#6 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

ok found GW scan utility about to burn n run

#7 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

o.0 srry about that ran out of cds, will have to get more today

#8 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

well i tried to run the utility but does not work. all i can get at best is a white mouse cursor with black background and cannot login using a different boot cd

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

I don't really understand. Did you burn the utility to cd? Can you boot to it? Does it try to run? Exactly what is happening?

#10 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

i burnt the utility onto cd and tried to boot from it . I made sure that boot from cd was selected in the bios. Doesnt look like the utility its self is any good

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

So you can't boot to the disk? Then either you did not burn it properly or it's a bad disk or the bios is not correctly set.

#12 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

well the boot cd i made keeps the laptop from going bsod , i tryed to re burn the diagnostic tool and still didnt work. IF you know of another program that could work i will try it

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

#14 BakedDaily

BakedDaily
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

i know how to burn the cd, i meant do you know any other hd diagnostic utilities i could try.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

If you are going to run a hd diagnostic at boot it's best to use the utility provided by your hd manufacturer. I'm not sure what problem you are having burning it to a disk, but you'll have the same issue with ANY utility since it will need to create a bootable disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users