Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problem

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

Every time I try to do a system restore, I get the dreaded error 0x80070005
Supposedly, an "anti-virus" program is blocking system restore's access to files. I know this is a bunch of BS because disabling Panda Cloud does nothing. And searching the internet for answers all reveals the same thing. There's no fix that I can find over the internet besides doing a repair installation. I only want to do the system restore because I ran a less-than-trustworthy .exe file and it made a registry change. I don't think it did anything harmful, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Anyone have a solution to this annoying problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

I can't help you with your current problem but I can offer some help for next time. I'm a firm believer that EVERYONE should use disk imaging software on a regular basis. It is the absolute best solution for system restoration. If you just want a reliable registry backup utility, ERUNT is free and has been around forever - and it's outstanding.

As for the registry change - do you know what it is?

#3 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

I'm aware of ERUNT, I just wasn't thinking that I would need a registry backup anytime soon.
The only thing about Disk Imaging is that, doesn't it take a lot of hard drive space to back up an entire image?

And I could still use help with my original problem if anyone is reading :)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:58 PM

I backup to external drives. You can also use cd's or dvd's. But yes, the size of the images is large.

And again, do you have any idea what was changed in the registry? If so, I can walk you through fixing it.

I'm logging off in a couple of minutes and in case you can't get any additional help I'll check back first thing in the morning.

#5 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

No, I'm not sure what was changed. All I'm aware of is that it merged a file named "nick.reg" into the registry, and then deleted the registry file. So I have no idea what was changed. I did scan the file with virus total before running though, it came back with 0 detections, it that means anything.

#6 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

UPDATE

I did a sfc /scannow
It corrected a few errors
I also uninstalled Panda Cloud

System restore worked after doing those, but I find it ridiculous if I must uninstall my AV whenever I want to run a system restore...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:54 AM

Well...I'd be thinking "different AV program" rather than Panda Cloud, since it may be the problem on your system.

I would try something else. If problem goes away with different AV...draw your own conclusions.

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

UPDATE

I did a sfc /scannow
It corrected a few errors
I also uninstalled Panda Cloud

System restore worked after doing those, but I find it ridiculous if I must uninstall my AV whenever I want to run a system restore...

Glad you got it sorted out. And I agree - system restore has never been perfected and although it sometimes works as advertised, as often as not when you need it most it fails. Hence my suggestion regarding disk imaging software.

#9 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

Well...I'd be thinking "different AV program" rather than Panda Cloud, since it may be the problem on your system.

I would try something else. If problem goes away with different AV...draw your own conclusions.

Louis

The problem seems to be tied to multiple Antivirus programs, from Norton, Avast, even Microsoft's own MSE. So I'll just hope I don't need to use system restore anytime soon.
Once I get the money for a nice external hard drive, I'll be doing system images.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice though, its appreciated :)

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:23 AM

Here's a nice, portable drive for $60. Just saying :)
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Elements-Portable-WDBAAR5000ABK-NESN/dp/B002CZQ4GU/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1295626937&sr=1-6

#11 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

Now that's a good deal!
I may just have to buy that sometime this week :)

#12 mach_v

mach_v

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:10 PM

I can't help you with your current problem but I can offer some help for next time. I'm a firm believer that EVERYONE should use disk imaging software on a regular basis. It is the absolute best solution for system restoration. If you just want a reliable registry backup utility, ERUNT is free and has been around forever - and it's outstanding.

As for the registry change - do you know what it is?

I highly agree with image backup. Macrium reflect has a nice FREE one from cnet download.com

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

Now that's a good deal!
I may just have to buy that sometime this week :)

I have a few external drives, but the one in the ad is the one I use most frequently. Not as fast as one that gets power from AC, but fast enough. And VERY convenient :)

#14 Sightless

Sightless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Yeah looks like a good buy, makes imaging much more simple

#15 damnyank

damnyank

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

The problem seems to be tied to multiple Antivirus programs, from Norton, Avast, even Microsoft's own MSE. So I'll just hope I don't need to use system restore anytime soon.
Once I get the money for a nice external hard drive, I'll be doing system images.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice though, its appreciated :)

FWIW:
I can not speak for other AV's, but there is a setting in Norton that can must be disabled in order for System Restore to work. Tamper Protection must be disabled in order to successfully run System Restore. Norton's Tamper Protection stops any changes being made to the Norton program, so there may be similar settings in other AV programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users