Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Steps to take after removing over 100gigs from HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 tommymac

tommymac

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hi, I just finished cleaning over 100GB from my 6 gig hard drive and have removed a bunch of malware. I need to know about how to go about getting everything in order. Maybe I don't need to do anything. I have dealt with this in the past but really don't remember how to proceed. I would prefer not to post any logs in a public forum so I would like to take care of things "in house". I am also going to be removing two user profiles from this computer. I would assume they should be removed first, but my kids are in a sloooow process of putting their personal info on there own new computers and would like to proceed now, and remove the two profiles later. My Disk Drive C: now reports 173GB free of a total of 585GB and my Factory Image D: drive reports the same prior condition of 1.76 free of 12.9 GB.
The computer is running much better now. However, It under performs a lesser laptop that I use to do daily financial work. I run a couple of programs simultaneously and this desktop lags quite a bit while the laptop does not.
Here is what I have done.....
Logged into Safe Mode and ran Malwarebytes, ran my Avast scan, and I have run a disc check on a start up.
???
Can I clean up the Image D: drive?
Is the Windows Defrag the way to go or should I run a aftermarket defrag? In Safe Mode?
What is the best way to Clean the Registry after a major amount of software and user data is removed?
Will removing the two user accounts and all of their data effect other data on the computer or just the software they installed?
What is the best way to remove User Accounts and all the data?
Could the lag be caused by Hardware issues?
If so, how would I go about checking out hard ware issues? (disk check ran fine and did not report any problems, the only noticeable thing is that a cooling fan is making a little noise, more than say a new one but is still working.)

I hope that is not too much all at once,
Thanks in advance,
Tom

HP Desktop, AMD 9500 Quad 4, 640GB HD, Vista 64 bit SP2, Avast Free, Ad-Aware with live watch running, Windows Firewall.

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2011 - 07:11 PM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Can I clean up the Image D: drive?

You can, but you should use disk imaging software to create an image of your system partition on a regular basis

Is the Windows Defrag the way to go or should I run a aftermarket defrag? In Safe Mode?

No need for safe mode. Internal defrag app is fine.

What is the best way to Clean the Registry after a major amount of software and user data is removed?

DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN THE REGISTRY. First, there is no such thing as "cleaning a registry". Second, utilities that claim to be registry cleaners can be very dangerous for your system and none of them do anything useful. None of them.

Will removing the two user accounts and all of their data effect other data on the computer or just the software they installed?

Deleting user accounts deletes the ability to log into those accounts and any data that may be unique to those accounts

What is the best way to remove User Accounts and all the data?

Control Panel - User Accounts

Could the lag be caused by Hardware issues?

Anything is possible. Hard to tell from here

If so, how would I go about checking out hard ware issues? (disk check ran fine and did not report any problems, the only noticeable thing is that a cooling fan is making a little noise, more than say a new one but is still working.)

[I doubt that you ran checkdisk correctly. You need to open an elevated command prompt, type chkdsk /r and say yes when asked if you want to run it at the next boot. Then exit the command prompt and reboot

I hope that is not too much all at once,
Thanks in advance,
Tom

In the end, you should post in the malware forum here. I have no idea why you won't post malware logs, but the rest of the world does. It's up to you though.

#3 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thanks for the reply Allen, you have provided some really good info. If you can, please move this to the Malware Forum, got to run now but look for further questions and comments form me there in the near future. Thanks again,
Tom.
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

Since there are no logs present this topic won't be moved to the malware forum. It will just get moved back by whoever sees it or staff member looking for missing logs. Your best bet is:

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

I started a new thread, it is located here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic374878.html
Thanks

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

To avoid confusion, I will now close this topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users