Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Errors after using Combofix

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hinata11

Hinata11

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hi everyone;

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp !!!!!!

I got a lot of errors when I have done the steps ..

1) My account pic can not be changed ( The specific picture in an unknown type or is not valid.Select a different picture ) and it appears with every pic and type I tried ..

2) My paint can’t save anything (Paint cannot save this file.Save has been interrupted, so your file has not been saved )

3) Microsoft word can’t even display Save as screen

4) Other programs like Dell Dock can’t even start .

>.<

I tried to use system restore, but all the previous system points has gone missing ..

Please Help !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi,

can you tell us a little more about the why you ran ComboFix? And what exactly you did? Did you run ComboFix by double-clicking?

Did you uninstall ComboFix?

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Hinata11

Hinata11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:58 AM

I run it because I have a virus in the external harddisk that turned all folders to shortcuts that couldn't be opened ..

This is the steps:

1. Create a folder in C: drive called ‘Combo’ and save the ComboFix.exe to that folder. (Then I run ComboFix by double-clicking and after some things had been completed(not everything), I closed it )
2. Closed all other browser windows.
Important: Temporarily disabled my anti-virus, real-time protection before performing a scan.
3. Go to start -> Run -> Type ‘cmd’(Without quotes) and click OK.
4. Type ‘cd\’ and Enter
5. Type ‘cd Combo’ and enter.
6. Type ‘ComboFix /snapshot’ then enter. It will run Combofix

The problem on the harddisk has been solved in addition to turning all hidden folders in my computer to normal state ..

I don't know if this is considered as uninstalling ComboFix, but I had deleted all files related to it manually (Shift+delete) ..

Hope this is what you needed to know ..

with regards;
Hinata

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:58 AM

Did you get those instructions to run ComboFix here or somewhere else?

myrti is one of our most prominent malware removal experts and was asking specific questions about why and how you ran ComboFix in order to determine the best strategy to assist you with your issues. You were asked whether you uninstalled ComboFix because if you hadn't removed it, more information could be obtained by examining logs or the contents of c:\qoobox.

Manually deleting related files and folders is not the correct way of uninstalling but since you did, that information is now no longer available unless its still in the Recycle bin. Properly removing it would have cleared the System Restore cache and created a new Restore point as well as removing its files and folders. You mentioned your restore points were missing so answering that question would also explain if ComboFix were responsible for doing that or something else.

Please clarify for us, are you now saying all issues have been resolved and whether or not you are still infected with malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Hinata11

Hinata11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

Yes I got the steps from the page you mentioned ...

http://www.techjunoon.com/how-to-remove-toeuw-exe-virusmalware/

I don't have the files I deleted in the Recycle bin because I did (Shift+delete)

I may try to restore them using data restore programs if it is needed ..

My restore points has gone missing after I restarted the windows after using ComboFix ..

I think that after solving the shortcuts problem, I got infected with another malware ..

Because I tried to use "RemoveIT Pro" and it showed me that of system files in C:/ Windows were infected ..

but it couldn't clean them properly and the problems are still there ...

<.>

#6 Hinata11

Hinata11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

Another thing I learned,

It seems that my account which was an administrator has been changed to 'I don't know what'

Thats why I got the first 3 errors I mentioned earlier ...

and Dell dock worked after I reinstalled it ..

Is there a way to return my account to being an administrator ?

Note: There is only one account in 'Users accounts'..

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

I think that after solving the shortcuts problem, I got infected with another malware ..

Or you never completely removed the entire infection. ComboFix is not a "cure all" so even though you ran that tool it may not have automatically detected/removed everything of a malicious nature. That's why it's important for a helper to be able to review and analyze its logs.

I tried to use "RemoveIT Pro" and it showed me that of system files in C:/ Windows were infected

Did it provide a specific file(s) name associated with the malware threat(s) detection and if so, where is it located (full file path) at on your system?

What other security scans have you performed and did they detect/remove anything?
If so, that information would be helpful.

Also confirm what operating system you have.

#8 Hinata11

Hinata11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi again;

The files that got infected were mostly in System32 folder in C:/Windows

I actually got tired from searching and solving each problem, so I upgraded my Windows Vista to Windows 7 and there were no problems detected ..

Actually, the malware was in my sister's external harddisk which I don't think it got to my labtop
but when I tried to solve her problem using ComboFix using my labtop, I got these problems ..
It was okay before using ComboFix (I don't think I will try to use it again ^.^)

Thank you all for paying attention to my problem ..

and I hope that the cause for my problems will be detected soon, so that no one will get to same troubles I got ..

Thank you all again ..

with regards;
Hinata
:wink:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

Actually, the malware was in my sister's external harddisk which I don't think it got to my labtop but when I tried to solve her problem using ComboFix using my labtop, I got these problems

If you connected your sister's external drive to your laptop its possible you could have encountered infected files in the process. If you did not connect it and issues occurred after running ComboFix on your laptop, its hard for us to determine exactly what happened without the information we could have obtained from ComboFix's logs and files.

In any case, I'm glad to hear you resolved the issue. Just be careful next time and check here first before taking action. That's what these forums are for...to answer questions and assist with various topics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users