Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removal of UNI BLUE

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Hi -
I have a computer (XP SP3) which has unfortunately downloaded Uniblue Reg Cleaner (or whatever it does) and is hard to remove -
I removed heaps of other garbage (this person is a believer in "It told me I needed it") but Uniblue is very stubborn to leave -
The computer has 4 G Ram and is almost 90% free space (mostly pictures, chat and shopping) so I keep them very clean usually -
Add/Remove, Delete from Windows Explorer, HiJackThis, and several other items prove useless against this program -

MBAM , SAS , installed and MSE is the A/Virus - All fully updated -

The only item I can think of to remove it is Systernals Autoruns - Looking for comments or other help please -

Thank You -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

1) There is no such thing as a good registry cleaner. The best of them do no harm - the worst of them will leave your system unusable. But NONE of them do any good.
2) What happens when you try to uninstall it?

#3 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hi Allan -
The simple answer to 2) is 'Nothing' - I went through Add/Remove several times and it just would not remove, change or do anything -
It exists in Windows Explorer, but will not remove from there also - The "Built in Uninstall" is useless also -
If I try to Right click remove, the same thing - It may look like it is going, but it is still there -
That is why I am now looking at Autoruns as a way to either stop it from being active (splash screen and auto start at login) or deleting it -
Thank You -
EDIT - I fully agree with your point 1) - That is why I want to clean it off their unit -

Edited by noknojon, 20 January 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Try Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html). If that doesn't work (and it should), you'll have to download & install Uniblue again (to the same location where it was originally installed) and then try to uninstall it again.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Have you looked in the uni-blue root folder? It may contain an uninstaller that you could directly launch instead of going through Add\remove.

But I kind of doubt one is included.

#6 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

I did not want to reinstall if it could be helped and Revo has not yet worked -
May need to un/reinstall Revo also (older version installed) -

Thanks -
EDIT -
@ Thunderz - I attempted to pull each file one by one but that also would not work (including useless uninstaller) -

Edited by noknojon, 20 January 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

If indeed it's already on your system I don't understand why reinstalling it would be a problem, but okay.

And it's possible the registry cleaner has done some damage, preventing you from uninstalling it and perhaps even interfering with Revo. Do you have an image to which you can return (or system restore if you don't use disk imaging software)?

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

@ Thunderz - I attempted to pull each file one by one but that also would not work (including useless uninstaller) -

If you have resorted to a manual deletion file by file then what is still remaining on the PC that states it is still there?

Added If it is still appearing in Add\Remove only then this should do the trick.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AddRemove.htm

I`ll spare you all the warnings about playing in the registry and backing it up before hand. Pretty sure you are already aware of them. :wink:

Edited by ThunderZ, 20 January 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

You can't uninstall an application by manually deleting the files in the folder. Now you probably HAVE to reinstall it - or use system restore.

#10 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Hi Allan -
It is not my unit, it is an elderly neighbour that has called me - I am doing some by remote and then I walk down to visit them once I have my ideas sorted out -
With this thing I thought it would just uninstall by Revo or uninstall included (as per usual), that is why I am looking at Autoruns as an option -

And it's possible the registry cleaner has done some damage

Fully agree with this - That is why I try to usually take good care of the unit - I have it about 90% free space after defrag, but I am never sure with these programs -
None of you think Systernals Autoruns is a better option ?? I have used it on several other occasions with good results -

Thanks -
EDIT -
@ Thunderz - I have used Ramesh on other occasions (also looked in Kellys Korner) so I will try both ideas later today I hope - (10.30AM here)

what is still remaining on the PC that states it is still there?

The program is still listed and the 'Start up routine' is still occurring (each reboot it runs)

Thanks to both of you

Edited by noknojon, 20 January 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

noknojon. I edited my last post and you may have missed the addition.

#12 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

@Thunderz -
Thanks - Got the link/item from Ramesh, and is this the reply you were looking for -

The program is still listed and the 'Start up routine' is still occurring (each reboot it runs)

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

oops. missed that. :blush:

Is it listed in msconfig?

Edited by ThunderZ, 20 January 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#14 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hi -
That is about the only place I have not looked :wacko: -
I got fed up with it and thought that I would add this today to see if I got any responses - (Thank you both for the interest) -
<< Is it listed in msconfig? >> Another item I will check - The unit is a mile or 2 away, so I mostly only have what I remember from yesterday -

These things are about as bad as Malware infections and everybody should be warned to never touch them - I usually warn my mates not to -
It will take me the day (or tomorrow) till I can get the computer again as the people are not home now (just called them :hello: )

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Just a suggestion.

If it is listed in msconfig. Then of course uncheck it. There is a fair to good chance it may recheck itself on restart. If it does then un-check it again. Only this time before restarting try following these directions.

To remove disabled items completely from msconfig, click on Start, Run, type in regedit & hit Enter. Open the following registry key, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\]. Expanding the startupreg folder will reveal a further listing of folders which will be named after items in the System Configuration Utility.

Reboot the machine and check msconfig one last time. It should be gone and stay gone at this point.

Of course all usual warnings about playing in\tampering with\modifying the registry and backing it up beforehand apply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users