Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Pro vs Free

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ken7

Ken7

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Newbie Question:

I have had two Infections over the past year and MBAM Free has cleaned up both of them, with some help from SAS.

But I was wondering, if I had the Pro version, it would be running in real time and if I understand how MBAM Pro works, it would have stopped these two infections in their tracks from infecting my system and I would have avioded having to boot in safe mode and go through the long headaches of cleaning everything out.

Is this how MBAM Pro would work?

Thanks

Edited by Ken7, 20 January 2011 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

That's pretty much how it works. Could have spared me and my good faithful desktop of nearly five years from A TDL3 infection the other day.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#3 tommymac

tommymac

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

I hate to hijack Kens post but I was wondering the exact same thing. I am very close to buying MBAM Pro but am wondering how it works in conjunction with my existing live scanning services. I don't want to step on anyones toes here so I won't mention what I have unless asked. chromebuster, is MBAM the only live scanning tool required? How well does it work in conjunction with most popular anti virus programs? I know it is a fantastic scan only tool and will find many things most others don't.
Thank You and I hope I'm not out of place posting to this thread.
MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

#4 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Your as far from out of place as you can go in this situation. You don't have an issue, so that rule doesn't apply. And I'll answer your question about whether that is the only live scanner required, and the answer is, by a long shot, absolutely not. Each computer should have both an Antivirus protection program (I use NOD32), and a program like MBAM to supplament it. The MBAM real time protection module is an enhancer to what you already have. hence what I said before. NOD completely missed the file I clicked on through it's file access protection module, and MBAM's realtime really would have helped.

So if you're on the edge, go get it! Sorry for the double there. Wasn't thinking straight.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#5 tommymac

tommymac

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the reply chromebuster, I guess I would not need to run my Ad-Aware "live watch" then? I run Avast Free antivirus, are there any issues with MBAM Pro with Avast that you know of? Would I still want to run the Avast to the full max protection mode? I imagine those questions would be better addressed with MBAM or Avast, but it would be nice if you or someone here knows of any issues. Thanks Again.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

When compared to other security tools like Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware, the advantage of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is that it uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits. IMO it has proven more effective than many of the stand-alone ARK tools which are available. MBAM intentionally does not search for and remove cookies which pose no significant threat. The research team investigates new rogue applications and malicious files so the database is usually updated several times a day in an aggressive effort to keep it current. Scanning is performed quickly while other tools can take hours.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is designed to remove malware as effectively with a Quick Scan as it will with a Full Scan which takes much longer to complete. Both scans use heuristics that bypasses polymorphic blackhat packers & encryption, MD5, check memory (loaded .exes and .dlls), unique strings, autostart load points and hotspots (everywhere current malware is known to load from) and multiple other malware checks which are not discussed in public to safeguard the program from malware writers.
  • A Quick Scan looks at the most prevalent places for active malware so scanning every single file on the drive isn't always necessary.
  • A Full Scan only has the ability to catch more traces in rare circumstances but it can be used to scan every drive (including removable) on the system.
  • A Flash Scan will analyze memory and autorun objects but that option is only available to licensed users in the paid version.
The above information about how the program works is general rather than specific. The reason for this is that the developers of Malwarebytes do not want to reveal all the special techniques utilized in order to protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers who would use that information for nefarious purposes.

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products).

Ad-Aware has even been placed into the Installers Hall of Shame for bundling and pre-checking Google Chrome during the installation. Also read Lavasoft Turning to the Dark Side? writtne by a former volunteer (now a MVP) who provided support for Ad-Aware but no longer uses the program.

As for Spybot S&D, most people don't understand how to use TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.

Edited by quietman7, 20 January 2011 - 06:57 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users