Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scudy

scudy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:15 AM

hi everyone,i'm new to this forum and i'm just hoping that i can get a little help.
i've been on the net for 12 months,and have always used I.E.[because i didn't know any better],but i've noticed that everyone seems to slag I.E. off badly.so i decided to try another browser.
i downloaded firefox without any problems,it told me it was now installed and so i opened firefox.
unfortunately,although the page does open,it just says in the lower left corner that it is looking for www.bbc.co.uk [the page i set to make sure it could find something].i've also successfully downloaded OPERA and AVANT browsers with exactly the same results.
i'm running windows SAP home and using norton internet security 2005.i think that norton is the problem,but if it is,i'm not sure how to correct this.
any help would be greatly appreciated. thx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

scudy,

First of all let me say Welcome to Bleeping Computer. I'm not familiar with Norton Internet Security, and it's settings. I did find this Symantec/Norton support link. It seems there may be more than one answer depending on your connection. Take a look, and if none of those "fixes" resolve your problem. Please post some additional information such as your ISP information. And Norton settings. Good Luck, and hth.

Be (Connectivity) Safe

Da Bleeping Advisor Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 scudy

scudy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:57 AM

:thumbsup: hi animal,thx for the reply.i've just visited the link you kindly left for N.I.S. unfortunately i haven't resolved the problem yet,although there did seem to be quite a few options left to try.i've just downloaded the avant browser but just got the same problem [detecting proxy settings]but not loading any pages.the first solution i tried from norton was.....tools>internet options>advanced>and then clicking use HTTP1.1 through proxy connections.i don't actually know what this means,but i tried it anyway.
the extra information i know about is as follows: windows XP home [sp2] 900 meg processor,256 ram,1meg ntl
cable broadband.if more info is required,please let me know what is needed,and i will try to sort this info out.many thx daz. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users