Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: New Desktop? Laptop? I have a headache now.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ThatGirl

ThatGirl

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

Template!

My budget for the new computer is: $500! (In theory it could be 600$ next week.)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?: This will become my "I'm gonna use this all the time always" computer, which means I'm going to be doing lots of things. I'd sum it up with "Web browsing, programming and occasional games" **(see below about programs and such)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Kind of mentioned above. Simple stuff like FooBar2000 but I'll probably want to use Photoshop.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?: Occasionally I find myself playing some MMO for a while, though nothing has hooked me as of late. A fried is trying to get me back into WOW (What kind of friend is that!), so thats a possibility. Also, Minecraft.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I multitask a lot more then any computer I've ever used has liked. >> A minimum of FooBar2000 + Firefox&/Chrome + uTorrent + Skype&/Aim&/Pidgin.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?: I currently have an external HDD, so I don't really need to worry about computer space, but I'd like at least 250. >_>

This is a strange situation I'm in. Basically, 2 days from now I'm heading back to campus, and classes start on Monday. I had to go through hell and back to get any work done the last two weeks of school during the semester that just passed because my Laptop died right before my final project for my CS class was due, and the libraries are always full. (Laptop = HP Dv6t) So I basically begged anyone and everyone I knew for help getting a new computer since my mother was convinced I don't actually need one. The result is $500 that is supposed to be for a desktop, except I'd have to move the desktop approx. 4 - 6 times a year so that I'd actually have a computer with me over the summer and long breaks, which is why I'm now being pressured into buying a laptop instead (Though for $500 I feel like I'm going to wind up with another Dv6t and nothing to show for it in 4 months. -__-)

One semi-solution I found for this was this, my only problem being I'm a little iffy on the specs and due to time constraints and money I'm basically stuck with the basic build if I buy this. and also I would assume that upgrading parts would be a hassle, if not impossible with how it is. So I'd have to buy a new computer as opposed to just new parts in the future. Though I guess im stuck that like with just about any Hp or Dell if I bought one.

D: So yea, thanks for reading this, and sharing my headache.

EDIT: Also, apparently, I have a friend who is willing to help me build a comp, though I'm strapped for time so . . . yea.

Edited by ThatGirl, 20 January 2011 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

I`m a bit lost from your whole post.

But if you are saying you really need a lap top but can not find one in the $500 range. examples only.

Some very capable reliable machines can be found for that price +\-.

#3 Stiffex

Stiffex

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Yeah you basically need a small netbook with good battery life thats nice n lite n portable for your school and travels so basically check the ones in your budget range and read the reviews or look up the model you like for professional lab test reviews. Its always a good idea budget permitting to buy a spare battery.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

HP ProBook 4520s
Also you might want to upgrade it to 4GB ram.

Total price: $470, free shipping for both product.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:48 PM

I`m a bit lost from your whole post.

But if you are saying you really need a lap top but can not find one in the $500 range. examples only.

Some very capable reliable machines can be found for that price +\-.

Sorry, that post is a tad jumbled. I guess the point I was trying to make was that I need a reliable computer that's going to last me, and I really don't feel comfortable with another laptop because, upgrading parts will be more of a hassle, and I assumed that in the $500 it would be of lesser quality then a $500 desktop.

Yeah you basically need a small netbook with good battery life thats nice n lite n portable for your school and travels so basically check the ones in your budget range and read the reviews or look up the model you like for professional lab test reviews. Its always a good idea budget permitting to buy a spare battery.

I don't think I netbook will be able to handle my kind of multitasking . . . Thanks though.

HP ProBook 4520s
Also you might want to upgrade it to 4GB ram.

Total price: $470, free shipping for both product.

Sounds good, though I'm still iffy on a laptop.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Unless you want build a desktop for $500 which isn't that bad.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 ThatGirl

ThatGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:17 PM

Unless you want build a desktop for $500 which isn't that bad.

My friend is actually putting together a list of parts for me as I write this. :/ but I'm worried about how long it will take to get everything, though I think no matter what I'll be without a computer next week.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

After your friend put list of parts together, can you post it on here?

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users