Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Causing Hardware Interrupts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickT.

NickT.

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hey guys,

I've posted before, but now I've found the trouble maker.

My USB is causing High CPU usage.
SysInternals Process explorer Shows Hardware Interrupts sitting at 30-50%. I've tried everything. Once I disable all 4 USBs 82801EB ( 24D2/4/7/E) the CPU spike is gone. The computer comes alive again. It shuts off / boots very fast. Once I enable the (4)USB Controls, the spikes go back up. Even if I unplug devices from, it still hogs up the CPU.
I've tried updating Chipset drivers to various versions, New, Old, you name it. Nothing helps.
The event viewer does not show any errors. The device manager does not show any conflicts (Works properly).

The hardware is all fine, I've had it for many years. My HD Died, so I had to reinstall a fresh OS. Right after an install of XPSP3 (bundled into CD), it starts off slow from the first boot. It's an OEM cd. I have a retail CD, but I do not have a valid CD KEY. I own 2 OEM cd-keys.

Driver downloaded from Intel Filename is INF_AllOS_8.3.1.1009_PV_Intel.exe
The driver version in the Device Manager for USB all 4 - 5.0.1006.0 1/15/2003.
Maybe windows reverts back to the old drivers, I don't know.

Im running WinXP Pro, SP3 latest updates.
P4 3.2 HT / D865Perl Mobo

What should be my next step? Is there a way to maybe manually switch drivers without windows using backups from the sys32?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Minor details

Edited by NickT., 20 January 2011 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

I would go to Device Manager...delete/uninstall the existing USB Controllers (not hubs and not devices)...and reboot the system.

General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

Louis

#3 NickT.

NickT.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

I've done that many times. Once windows loads up, it starts loading drivers for the controllers. Once the drivers / devices are installed the CPU spikes up once again.

#4 NickT.

NickT.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

Also,
I just confirmed this,
When I enable High speed & Legacy support for USB in BIOS, the spikes will be high even though all the Controllers are disabled in the Device Manager.
PS. Bios is running the latest firmware.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Beyond my ken, wait for further inputs from others :).

Louis

#6 NickT.

NickT.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:42 PM

Np Louis,

It's now worse then I thought. I installed Video ATI drivers, now the spikes are back.
Im reformatting right now, Installing XP HOME SP2, since thats the only OS SP that never gave problems with full drivers installed. I've reformatted about 8 times the last 3 days. Never, ever had I this problem and been so clueless as to whats going on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users