Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Computer Crashing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CS110

CS110

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:10 AM

I have a problem that started a couple days ago. Whenever I watch any kind of video or play any games my computer crashes. It starts out fine but after a minute, little blue dots start flashing on the screen. If I keep playing or watching, more and more appear until finally the screen is covered with them and my computer crashes, forcing me to restart it. Any ideas on what might be causing this and how I can fix it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:17 AM

oooo. That doesn't sound good. What type of Antivirus and antispyware are you using?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Thunder

Thunder

• Members
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:40 AM

Could it be your videocard is overheating? Do you have normal image immediately after reboot?
Whatever happens, make believe it was intended to ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted Image - If I have helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight against malware.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Stand Up & Be Counted --> Posted Image <-- And make a difference

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:25 AM

Any recent changes to your system that might have caused this?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 CS110

CS110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

I have McAfee and regularly run Ad-Aware. No recent changes. The only thing I can think of is that I recently started playing Civ 4 and there are still a few bugs that need to be worked out with patches. One problem of the game is that its a memory hog and as the game goes on it slows down considerably until you get to a point where there's so much going on that you have to restart the computer or turns start taking forever. People say there's a "memory leak" that needs to be addressed with a patch. Could this have messed everything up? Other than that there's nothing I've added to the computer for a month of so.

#6 CS110

CS110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:14 PM

And yes I do have a nomal image after reboot.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

Try checking your Event Viewer for errors. Here's a "how-to" from a previous post of mine:

Next, please go to Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer. Once Event Viewer opens there will be 3 categories listed in the left hand pane (Application, Security, and System). Please click on each one (in turn) and view the messages for that category in the right hand pane. Look for any error messages around the time of the last problem. Then right click on the error and select "Properties". In the window that opens will be a text description of the error - please copy it down and post it.

If there are too many errors to choose from, please let me know and we can proceed a bit differently. Also, generally speaking, the usual location for this type of error will be in the System category - but there is a possibility that it may be in the other areas. Please do not erase your log files until we're finished troubleshooting this issue.

Because of the CIV4 issues, you should also have errors in the Application category.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 CS110

CS110
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:19 PM

No Errors in the Systems section, tons of "Infromation' entries though, I'm not sure if you want me to list all of those.

From the Application section...

This is a common one that seems to happen all the time.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1004
Date: 12/11/2005
Time: 9:45:03 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CS110
Description:
Faulting application cvpnd.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0012e74c.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 63 76 70 ure cvp
0018: 6e 64 2e 65 78 65 20 30 nd.exe 0
0020: 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 .0.0.0 i
0028: 6e 20 75 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 n unknow
0030: 6e 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e n 0.0.0.
0038: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0040: 73 65 74 20 30 30 31 32 set 0012
0048: 65 37 34 63 e74c

There are quite a few errors going back over the past couple months but this is the only one that occurs numerous times. This is also the only one that has occured since the computer started crashing. Also, just like in the systems section, there are tons of information entries. Usually the same ones pop up after every crash. I don't know if those would help you.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

Here is information on cvpnd.exe. I see it is one of the items listed. Maybe this will help sort it out.
The Cisco page referring to cvpnd.exe

Edited by acklan, 12 December 2005 - 01:28 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users