Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tidserv B Again

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

#1 lucifon

lucifon

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

Hi there,

I too also came down with this yesterday afternoon and have been trying to resolve it since. I was close to giving up but stumbled across the ability to create a norton recovery disk. It's currently scanning now but straight away found Boot.Tidserv.B, so I havn't yet tried letting it fix it but I imagine like everyone else here it won't be able to sort it. Previously I didn't even have a name to this bugger, so thats progress. I followed dantilley's post on the symantec forums to here.

Windows 7 64-bit here.

Unable to boot into windows whatsoever, not even in Safe Mode. Upon loading windows I get a black screen with a movable cursor, after about a minute it'll blue screen and reboot, sometimes it just blue screens and reboots straight away. No way for me to run the above tools unless there's a way to do it before boot??

UPDATE - Like all the others here on the forums who have also picked up Boot.Tidserv.B - Norton Recovery Disk found the virus but was unable to fix it. I can't run the two apps posted in another post to help fix the issue as I can't get into windows. Thanks in advance.

Edited by lucifon, 20 January 2011 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hello I had to split you here to a separate topic.. This one needs different attention. I have asked some one that handles this type to look here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

Apologies I didn't see this thread. Much appreciated i'll keep it bookmarked. I've also updated my original post with some extra info.

Edited by lucifon, 20 January 2011 - 08:09 PM.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

Hello, if you tap F8 on startup, does the Advanced Boot options menu come up? If so, do you see the option "repair windows"?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

I get 'Repair Your Computer' at the top of that list. This is only the same repair options as provided with a Windows 7 disk. Startup repair finds nothing to repair, I'm assuming because Windows does actually boot in but there's just a black screen with a cursor or it BSOD's as soon as it's actually into windows - so technically it's booted.

I already tried the only system restore point I had which was 2 days back, this didn't fix anything sadly.

Thanks in advance!

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

Lets see if we can find out what the BSOD is.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:00 AM

Okay after about a minute with the black screen and cursor I get a 'Runtime error! Program: C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe' which I've read is the Nvidia Driver Helper? Shouldnt even be an important file, using Ubuntu the date last modified was December 2010 so I don't believe it's been infected, no scan picked it up anyway.

After about 3-4 minutes it fires off a BSOD. The error is :

*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002E665A1, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

#8 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Tried a few more times and got it to do it again, looks like a different error...

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFF80002E9FD29)

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:26 AM

Do you have a dual boot or are you using Drive encryption?

regards, Elise

#10 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

Single boot just Win7 64-bit. Never applied any Drive Encryption so I shouldn't think so.

EDIT - Apologies I should have explained when mentioning Ubuntu. I've created a live boot USB Memory Stick of Ubuntu so that I can still access my files etc.

Edited by lucifon, 21 January 2011 - 09:28 AM.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

I get 'Repair Your Computer' at the top of that list.

At that point, in the list, click Command Prompt.

At the command prompt, type the following and press enter after each line.

c:

bootrec /fixmbr

exit

Restart your computer and let me know what happens.

regards, Elise

#12 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

The command finishes successfully but upon reboot it says a disk needs to be checked for consistancy then throws up an error saying it's unable to do so.

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

At what point do you see this? After the Windows Splash screen or before?

regards, Elise

#14 lucifon

lucifon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Posted Image

Heres a photo of the exact error. It's after the windows splash screen.

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:03 AM

Can you try a Startup Repair now from the Recovery environment and see how things are afterwards?

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users