Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers Problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hi I've got some 2nd hand speakers, 1 works but the other doesn't? Why is this?

The left one doesn't work. They are Polk-audio Speakers.

I've tried all the jacks front and back..

Using Vista 32 bit.

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2011 - 02:24 PM.
Moved from Audio & Video to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Barring more in depth info, the answer that comes immediately to mind is a hardware problem (broken connection, bent conductor in the jack, etc.) with the speakers. I assume this is an amplified system that plugs into the computer via a 3.5 mm stereo headphone plug? If so, have you tried plugging it into some other audio source, like an MP3 player? If you still lose the left channel, that's your problem.

#3 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:21 AM

Strange i unplugged then plugged back and they both work

EDIT: Its randomly stopped working in left 1 now?

Edited by samuel3, 21 January 2011 - 07:21 AM.

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

That really sounds like a hardware problem in the speaker -- maybe a loose wire or cracked solder joint.

EDIT: Is the connector cable hardwired into the speakers or is it a male-male patch cable? The bad connection could be in the cable -- possibly too much flexing over time.

Edited by Capn Easy, 21 January 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#5 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:33 PM

The cable has 3 wieres into it.

1 is the plug to the speaker for them to be on the other 1 is connected speaker to speaker and the other goes into the computer. Wires all look fine to.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

A cracked solder joint inside the jack or plug wouldn't be visible.

You say a wire connects the two speakers. Does one of the speakers have a volume control? If so, which one?

I assume the speakers are connected to the "Line Out" jack on your computer/sound card. Have you tried unplugging the speakers and plugging in another set? Or headphones? (Don't wear the headphones while testing this out -- hold the left earpiece close enough to tell if it's working reliably.) It's stilll possible there's a cracked solder joint in the computer -- this would help isolate the problem.

#7 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

The right is the problem that has the volume control

the speaker that doesn't work is meant to be on the right side, but its on the left because its closet to the plug

So the one without the volume control works.

Hope i haven't confused you.

Edited by samuel3, 21 January 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#8 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Ok I unplugged the speakers plugged in headphones and they both work sound coming from both sides in the headphones.

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Sounds like the problem is either in the cable connecting your speakers to the computer -- the easiest to fix, if the cable is replaceable -- or somewhere in the speaker itself. I suspect that's the best I can do from here. Good luck! :thumbup2:

#10 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

Hello I'm now confused I put in my headset into the speaker that doesn't work and if i put the headset in slightly the speaker works. What does this mean?

When i put the headset all the way in the sound comes out of the headset as normal.

Edited by samuel3, 23 January 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#11 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

A bad connection in the jack?

Honestly, there's no way for me to tell from here.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

Inside the headphone socket on the front of the speaker will be be a set of contacts that turn the speakers off when a headset plug is inserted, then connects the speakers into circuit again when the plug is removed. Looks like one of these contacts is failing to reconnect. When the plug is partially inserted, pressure jiggles the connection temporarily into place. You'd have to look inside the speaker to find out if you can get access to the socket to fix it, or if the socket would have to be replaced. Depending on how the socket is connected up inside the box, it could also be a broken solder connection or a cracked copper track on a little circuit board that is losing the contact.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users