Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep losing USB devices

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SusanO13

SusanO13

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hi there. I keep losing my USB devices in the last two or three days. At first, I thought my computer was just freezing up so I did a manual restart. Then it happened again. After manual restart, I ran Advanced System Care (free). Later, it happened again. I ran an Avast antivirus check after restart, with no virus found. It happened again. I ran MalwareBytes deep check (after restart) - no malware found. It happened again. Another restart. I ran malwarebytes on the external hard drive - no malware found. I defragged external drive. Mouse and keyboard failed, while I was defragging and looking up info on the net. THIS TIME, disk defrag window popped up informing me defrag was complete. I detached/reattached both mouse and keyboard and they both work again. I have not restarted. So I came here to get to the bottom of it.

Last summer, my hard drive failed (no crash, just sudden death). Computer went off to IT guy who was able to recover data as long as it was a slave instead of a master drive. New hard drive, clean slate, no problems until now. I have become wary of Windows updates as they have caused blue screens in the past. Still, a new drive with reinstalled OS would have all the updates from the past (with all the fixes), so I have been letting them happen.

Currently running:
Windows XP v. 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100427-1636 : Service Pack 3)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101207 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7 ThunderBrowse/3.3.4

Every time mouse, keyboard and external drive disappear (windows tells me it does not recognize USB device on port, blah, blah, blah), I seem to be doing something in Fire Fox: shopping on Amazon, searching with Google, etc. It has happened about 4 times in the last 6-8 hours. Seems to be increasing frequency as time passes - or I've just been more active than the last two days, not sure. Any help?

Thanks, Susan

Edited by SusanO13, 20 January 2011 - 01:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I doubt it has anything to do with firefox. Probably a driver thing. Go to your manufacturer's site and update your chipset drivers and see if that helps.

#3 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

I've been keeping away from the computer. It seems that the longer I am away, the longer I have before my USB quits on me. I went to Dell and downloaded the most recent BIOS and Chipset standard for my machine. Actually, I downloaded the BIOS at Dell, it wouldn't download the chipset properly. Then I searched for the proper chipset (according to Dell's info) from c-net. Already, there seems to be some kind of change. Not sure if it was the BIOS, which seemingly had things working. Only time could tell, and I didn't give it time before I downloaded the chipset. So far, so good. I haven't had a notice in 3-5 minutes. Considering the USB would fail within 30 seconds of being up before, this is a welcome change. In that event, I thank you. If it continues to fail, I am sure I'll be posting again, or I'll send it off to IT guy who thought it might be a driver issue. Considering I would have to send the thing 45 miles away, passing it to Dad to give to Mom to give to IT guy, I really hope it's just the BIOS/chipset combo. If I forget to keep you posted, then assume problem solved. I will continue to proudly advertise your site as the first stop for all computer issues that make you "bleep."

Thanks!

Susan

#4 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

it didn't work. :( problem remains....

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

I agree that it's unlikely that Firefox is involved, but why not use IE for a while just to be sure. Also, please open device manager. Are there any yellow or red symbols?

#6 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

You may be exceeding the power capabilities of your USB ports so they shut down. Try running with less USB devices attached such as your external drive. If that helps, you could buy a powered USB hub to handle the extra devices.

Edited by strolln, 04 February 2011 - 11:08 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

Another possibility is a failing power supply. If this turns out to be the case, your usb devices can be powered through a USB Powered hub. Leave only the USB keyboard or mouse in the computer. Or get a new PSU..

First check what Allan has suggested in the device manager an report back.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#8 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

I'd try device mgr...if I had enough time. USB fails within a minute or two. Had to reboot just now. gotta go to avoid another hard restart.

#9 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

IT guy's initial thought was failing motherboard. On further review with IT guy's IT son, they think it may be a driver issue. Haven't been able to get the box to IT guy as he's 45 miles away and I don't have a car (have to pass to sister to Dad to Mom to her office's IT guy).

It seems that the longer the computer is shut down, the longer I have before USB issue crops up. It's been this long...maybe 3 min. Sometimes it happens upon restart, sometimes it happens in 20 min. It's random.

Looking into device mgr now. Will report if I'm able.

#10 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:01 AM

where is device manager? Looked in control panel and system tools...can't find. need to restart now.

had 5 min, restarted, then 2 this time...

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

It's in control panel. But if you don't see it just go to START - RUN and type: devmgmt.msc (then press ENTER)

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Just for future reference. To access Device Manager via Control Panel. Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button.

#13 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Device manager shows nothing out of the ordinary. When the USB failure notice popped up, it shows one of the devices (mouse and keyboard are only ones currently being used) as unrecognized. The Dev mgr refreshed every time notice popped up (it pops up several times before mouse and keyboard quit working).

Notice popping now, have to restart.

#14 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

I'm going to buy a new mouse and keyboard to rule that out as a possible cause.

have to restart again...or I'll just stay off for a while...

#15 SusanO13

SusanO13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

I finally got tired of the problem. Sent CPU off to IT guy. Looking for new laptop just in case.... I'll post the solution when I get one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users