Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something strange happening

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 QUEENIEJ

QUEENIEJ

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

I have had my home network setup quite awhile (years).

Last night (1-19-11, 3:00am) I noticed that from my machine ONLY it shows me connected to "Network 2" instead of my home network name as usual. I noticed this when I tried to pull up a web site after performing a search from the search bar in IE8.

I already had several tabs open but received the "cannot display page" error when I clicked on one of the links in my search results. I clicked the 'diagnose connection problem' button and when it could not detect the problem.

I was going to attempt further troubleshooting so I went to open the "Open Network and Sharing" link from the wireless connections list by clicking taskbar wireless network icon.

When I clicked I saw my home network with the correct name and showing 'connected', but at the top it showed "Network 2". I was not in the mood for extensive troubleshooting so I turned off computer, went to bed, and completely forgot about this event until now when it happened again. :( (1-19-11, 11:25pm)

So now I am very suspicious and concerned because networking is just not my cup of tea. I haven't the foggiest what this could possibly mean nor how to fix it. :unsure:

I have screenshots but do not know how to include them here. Can email them if necessary.

To anyone with any useful suggestions, PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.

Queenie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Are you using wireless?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 QUEENIEJ

QUEENIEJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Yes it is a wireless connection.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

You may be connecting to another wireless network. Where are you seeing the Network 2 information? Down by the clock where it shows your wireless information, Under the network tab in my computer?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 QUEENIEJ

QUEENIEJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

Browser: IE8, 8.0.7600.16385

When I hover over the wireless icon in my taskbar, it shows "Network 2 Internet Access". When I click this icon and pull up the window with the list of available wireless networks, at the top under 'Currently connected to:' I see "Network 2", but underneath in the list of available wireless networks I see my Home Network Name listed and the status shows "Connected". 'Network 2' does NOT appear in the list.

This same info NORMALLY prior to two days ago would show my home network name in the list and at the top as the network I am "Currently connected to:' and when I hover over the taskbar icon.

Now each day when I boot up it starts out that way but then at some point changes to showing as described above.

Additionally, when I open the Network and Sharing Center, under 'View your basic network information and set up connections", at the top: the map shows my computer name connected to "Network 2" connected to the Internet

just below that on the left under 'View your active networks' it shows

"Network 2 Home network" BUT

on the right under 'Connect or disconnect' it shows

Access type: Internet
Home Group: Ready to create
Connections: Wireless Network Connection (my home network name)

When I click 'Manage Wireless Networks', it opens the "Manage wireless networks that use (Wireless Network Connection)"

All of the networks that I connect to on a regular basis are listed, but not 'Network 2'.

Going back to the "Network and Sharing Center" window, clicking on the house above 'Network 2' in the map at the top opens up a Windows Explorer window listing ALL the devices in my home network.

Like I said, networking is definitely NOT my specialty, but I am going to change my home network security key to see what results I get.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Not real familiar with Win 7 and how it handles networking. How ever I believ it is very similar to XP. When you first set up your wireless network did you give it a name? Since the initial working set-up have you attempted to set up the same connection a second time?

#7 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

Go to a command prompt as administrator and type: netsh winsock reset

Note: You may lose internet connectivity during this procedure. Restarting your computer should solve your problem.

Edited by Desion, 20 January 2011 - 11:08 PM.

Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#8 QUEENIEJ

QUEENIEJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:22 AM

Thanks everyone. Before I could get to the bottom of this my router was broken in accidental fall and has now been replaced.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

Sorry about the accident :rip: Did the new one solve the problem?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users