Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound after Win 98SE --> WinXp SP3

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 stilllearning6

stilllearning6

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

New HD installed into 1999 Gateway Performance 450 Pentium III . Original system was Win98 SE . Used original install discs .

Then , immediately upgrade to WinXP SP2 , then SP3 .

Noticed no sound except midtower beeps on startup/shutdown .

DEVICE MANAGER showed : Creative Audio PCI (ES1371, ES1373) ,( WDM)

Searching this forum revealed that others experienced same issue and it seemed linked to drivers.
I did the upgrade from Win98SE --> WinXP SP2 several years ago on the original 12 g HD . All worked .

Today , I get this issue with a newly installed 320 giga of which only 127 Giga is recognized .

Considering doing uninstall drivers , reload drivers .
Any guidance ?

Internet postings indicated that the drivers that worked for Win98SE may no longer function in WinXP .
Further , Gateway manufacturer chat was no help .
They were ready to turn me over to Pay for Support when I requested correct driver information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

You need to install all XP compatible drivers starting with the chipset driver.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

Is there a reason that you did an upgrade as opposed to a clean install? This can be done from an upgrade disk as long as you have a disk containing an older OS such as 98. If you boot from the XP CD it will look for an earlier vers of the OS. Then ask you to insert the earlier OS disk. After it reads it it will proceed with a formatting, partitioning and installing a full XP vers.

Have run across many an issue with incompatibility from SP2 to SP3.

Guessing you have checked the Dell site for XP supported drivers for that PC. If they are not listed there or are but do not work then SP3 is likely the issue. Locating working drivers may not be possible. That PC is likely no longer supported and updated drivers are no longer being developed.

#4 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:45 AM

Allan : I will try to understand : " install all ......the chipset " . I am very sketchy on technology lingo/ comprehension.
Will research internet .
It was my understanding that : Win98 SE --> WinXP SP-2 --> then add SP3 included downloads / driver updates .
My understanding is limited . I was told years ago by TigerDirect.com that upgrade from Win98SE to WinXPSP2 would work .
It did work for me for several years .
I felt that WinXP SP2 was working AOK for a few years after upgrade done several years ago.
Never got the SP3 done due to space limitations of original 13.5 giga hard drive .
The HD limitation size no longer a factor with new HD , my understanding ??

ThunderZ : Did upgrade as opposed to clean install because that was the way I was instructed years ago by TigerDirect.com .
It worked way back then .

Your comment : " Have run across many an issue with incompatibilty from SP2 to SP3 " :
Should I undo SP3 ?
How ?
I checked Gateway website for XP Supported drivers . Found nothing .
Interestingly , Gateway " Pay for Support " was recommended to me for resolution by Gateway customer service .

Is this fixable ?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

Sorry - I may have misunderstood. If the update was just a service pack update then you should not need new drivers.

#6 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

Allan : Should I try uninstall drivers : (ES1371, 1373 ), ( WDM) ) ? Then do re-install same ones ?

The SP3 was one of 72 updates that came my way when I did " Windows Update " .
I did go looking for it . It just ran . Same thing happened with IE8 ; I had IE6 .

You folks know way more than I so please be gentle / low tech talk . Thank you .

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

I find no reference to a 450 model on the Gateway site. Is this a lap top or desk top?

#8 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

Original invoice reads :

April 19 1999
Item Description : 1002371 Gateway Performance 450 serial # 013569268

It is a MidTower desktop

Edited by stilllearning6, 20 January 2011 - 11:45 AM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

No harm in installing new drivers. Obtain them from the OEM websites, not from Windows Update.

#10 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

Allan : when you say " new " drivers , are you saying uninstall ES1371, ES1373 WDM ,
and then re install exact same ones ?

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

I've been busy and have not checked to see if those are the latest drivers. If they are, you can try to uninstall and reinstall - no harm will be done. If they are not, then you should obtain the latest drivers, uninstall the old ones, and reinstall the new ones. Honestly I don't know if this will help or not, but it certainly can't hurt at this point.

#12 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Allan : Will follow your advice to uninstall the current drivers and then reinstall exact same ones .

Based upon reading internet , I feel that the issue involves SP3 . System worked with SP2 .
I do not know why this happens , can only relate my experience with only my system.

Much appreciation to both you and ThunderZ for involvement/ experience /wisdom .

#13 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Regarding latest drivers :

Visited web site Driverguide.com to get a scan of system and then hoped to get from them latest drivers .
For driver ES1371 , my installed version was 5.2.3633.0 which is latter version than from them: 5.1.3612.0.
For driver ES 1373 , my installed version was 5.2.3633.0 again . Their version I could not get successfully .
Will continue to research this issue .
Roll back from SP3 to SP2 is short term fix I believe.
This issue seems pervasive based upon my internet reading : SP3 bulldozes Sound in WinXP .

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

DO NOT use 3rd party software or sites for drivers. Always go to the website of the hardware manufacturer.

#15 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

Here is some conflicting data regarding Creative Sound Blaster PCI :

When I used DEVICE MANAGER -->SOUND/VIDEO/GAME CONTROLLERS -->
CREATIVE AUDIO PCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM) -->PROPERTIES-->
DRIVER --> VERSION , I see the result as : 5.2.3633.0

When I used Microsoft WinXP " HELP and SUPPORT " software --> GAMES and MULTIMEDIA TROUBLESHOOTER -->
--> GAMES, SOUND , and VIDEO PROBLEMS --> follow instructions to --> START button--> RUN --> type : dxdiag -->
--> click : OK --> click : DirectX DIAGNOSTIC TOOL window opens --> click tab: SOUND 1 --> this gives contradictory data as follows :

DEVICE
Device name : Creative Sound Blaster PCI
Device ID : PCI\VEN_1274_1371SUBSYS_8054107BREV_0
DRIVER
Driver name : es1371mp.sys
Driver version : 5.01.3612.0000

The versions of driver are different .
Additionally , in the notes section of "DIRECTXDIAGNOSTIC TOOL " , the notes display :
" DirectSound test result : Failure at step 19 HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code )

WinXP sees one version of driver: 5.2.3633.0
DirectX Diagnostic Tool sees another version : 5.01.3612.0000 and reports Failure at step 19.

What is happening / how to resolve ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users