Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My XPS blue screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jim 0

jim 0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

My XPS with the operating system of XP will not boot up.

I can not use the 'Windows Advanced Options Menu,' none of the options will work, not the 'Safe Mode,' not the 'Safe Mode with Networking,' not any. When I select any of the options, it just goes back to the blue screen.

I can run the diagnostics and they seem to run to completion, but when the window comes up stating 'Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition' I click the OK button and it goes back to the blue screen.

jim 0

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2011 - 05:31 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 jim 0

jim 0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Nothing is different. The only thing that I can think of is that McAfee was complaining about a virus, and I thought that I was handling it correctly, but apparently not.

jim 0

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Nothing is different. The only thing that I can think of is that McAfee was complaining about a virus, and I thought that I was handling it correctly, but apparently not.

jim 0

And that wasn't worth mentioning? I'm reporting as potential malware. Hang around and a mod will take over.

#5 jim 0

jim 0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

ok, sorry for not mentioning.

jim 0

#6 jim 0

jim 0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

I managed to get the computer started again, using the control F11 and then I selected REBOOT.

But the virus is there and it keeps getting regenerated. And McAfee keeps trying to get rid of the virus, but it keeps coming back.

I just happened to put a thumb drive in and the virus copied something called RECYCLER onto the thumb drive.

Any suggestions?

jim 0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users