Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos report reveals increase in social networking security threats

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/01/19/sophos-security-threat-report-2011-social-networking/

This isn't just a problem for home users. Many people check their social networking accounts from the workplace, making the sites a potential vector for attacks against businesses.

There's no doubt that cybercriminals are showing a much higher level of interest in the social networks than ever before, with Facebook being the site they are targeting the most.

Facebook's recently clumsy introduction of a feature which would allow rogue application developers to access users' mobile phone numbers and home addresses (and its subsequent temporary withdrawal while it rethinks its approach) makes me question whether privacy and security are part of the company's DNA.

I see two possibilities.

Either Facebook simply doesn't "get" security and privacy. Or it just doesn't care.

Edited by Union_Thug, 19 January 2011 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

This is funny because facebooks own CEO's fan page was Apparently hacked today as well as a hacker, hacked facebook altogether posting a status that showed on everyone's walls.
See here: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9206501/Mark_Zuckerberg_s_Facebook_page_apparently_hacked
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Maybe koobFace will start paying serious attention to security, though I tend to doubt it.:whistle:

The hash tag included in the message references Facebook's Hacker Cup, an ongoing competition that award prizes to people who compete in algorithmic programming exercises centered around Facebook's services. The bit.ly link points to the Wikipedia page for "social business," but includes other elements including a message saying "thanksforthecup" and a link to the profile picture for the Facebook page facebook.com/hackercup/.

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 January 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#4 Davkal

Davkal

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

I think facebook cares about the money.
Privacy an security have always taken second place.
Was not the top dog a hacker in his early years.

#5 jziggyp

jziggyp

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

I fully agree Fbook is a hacker haven and malware site.....I have recently quit using fbook along with ZYNGA Texas Holdem Poker fbook app. The customer support is a joke ....I was hacked on it for my poker chips when I clicked on a friend gift on fbook... The Zynga customer Reps accused me of being the hacker in the supposed investigation and banned me,,Then recanted that and said I was abusive,,,then reopened my account and gave me my chips back,,,2 weeks later I am suspended accused of intentionally losing my chips..Now they send me an email telling me that they have given me my chips back again(NOT GOING TO HAPPEN)....WOW, is all I have to say about that customer service.... The real bad part of all this is that, I have had to reformat my computer 3 times in the last 2 1/2 months due to being hacked or getting some sort of infection( Trojans,Trojan Downloader and 25 rootkit alerts from AVG....I was using AVG free, Malwarebytes, Comodo firewall and system cleaner,Secunia PSI2, NOSCRIPTS, Adblocker plus, Sysinternals Suite was installed, WOT,Peerblock..... I thought I had myself pretty well covered from getting attacked.....I was wrong!!!!! When the rootkits showed up on AVG every one of my security programs were shut down. The computer barely worked...Could not find the restore to original configuration program ---ended up using the F11 and it started....It failed 2 times before it finally succeeded... I feel my computer is still not running as it was.... In the mean time I ordered the factory disc's....I will be restoring again using them in the near future... All this started, due to using fbook and zynga Poker App. I even entertain the thought that zynga poker reps are behind a lot of this...One other thing of interest was that a week or so ago I had contacted AVG customer service asking them about the Rootkit program in the free version for a 64 bit vista system...I had been searching for info about rootkits and found that they did not work on 64 bit systems.....Then WHAM, I get hit a couple days after they replied back with we have no support for the free AVG...My bottom line is that fbook and zynga are not safe and do not will not recommend them to anyone....The good thing is that all this has brought me to bleepingcomputer and a wealth of information ....Thanks :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users