Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Slimline desktop won't start and constantly Beeps

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

I have a HP Slimline 2360 Desktop (windows Vista) that won't work at all. As soon as I press the start button it makes one continuous beeping noise, which lasts for 15 sec, then it goes away for 5 sec and comes back again. The screen does not show anything other than black. Would this mean that there is a hardware issue? The tower is very hard to work in as it is so tight. Could it be faulty RAM or Hard drive. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

The beeps keeping going on past 3 times. They last about 10 sec and is one long beep. Then it breaks for 3 sec and starts beeping again. I tried different RAM I know that works fine from another system (checked it's compatibility) and the beeps were still there. What is my next step.

#3 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

#1. Can you get the PC to boot at all, if so download this from this link http://www.memtest86.com/ and it will give you a full memorytest of your system.
#2. Also what where you doing before this started happenning.
#3. Do you do a lot of gaming if so, try taking out your graphics card, they can sometimes cause problems within the system if they're not working properly, or they've been over worked !
#4. Did you make any recovery discs after you purchased the PC if so you can boot while hitting F1 , F2, or F11 then make sure the boot order is from CD in the BIOS, then reboot with CD inside your drive !

Last but not least :
#5. If you can boot cotinue pressing F8 on boot and the scroll down to LKGC 'Last Known Good Configuration'

Edited by doinmeedin, 20 January 2011 - 07:48 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

1) Here are the bios beep codes for your system: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=bph07107

2) Just make sure it isn't a stuck key on the keyboard - try a different keyboard

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:18 AM

Try what Allan suggested or click on this link Reference: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3328509&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3328509&objectID=bph07107
all in all i think its more or less the same thing

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Thanks for the reply! I tried another keyboard, but still getting the beeps. I put in another memory stick, but this did nothing. Could it be the PSU? This is hard to test as it looks like a very specific one for this model. Prior to the beeping: I got the option to launch the start up repair or start up in normal mode. I chose normal mode and it got stuck on a black screen. Then I had to do a force shutdown. After I started it up again it started beeping and would not load into windows. It shows nothing on the screen and the yellow light on the monitor is just blinking. if the GPU is connected to the motherboard then are you suggesting I try another GPU in the system that is separate. I think the recovery disks are pointless at this stage as I cannot even see one thing on the screen. Could the hard drive have become faulty? I appreciate the feedback and hope to work through this issue.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

Yes, it could be the psu. Could also be the video card, bad mobo, or any one of a number of hardware issues. Have you checked the beep codes? BTW, I don't see a model 2360 listed anywhere.

#8 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

Yeah like Allan said, are you sure you have the model number right, HP Slimline 2360 brings up nothing on the HP beep test sight !

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

@ 2587 Is this you as well?

If so then according to that thread you likely have a HP Pavilion Slimline s3620f PC.

Please let the people trying to assist you know. Also, while of course you are completely free to do as you please with your PC and accept any\all information\suggestions given to you. It is generally recommended that you not seek\accept advice from more then one source. Many times this can prove to be counter productive and do more harm then good.

Edited by ThunderZ, 21 January 2011 - 09:18 AM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:23 AM

I couldn't disagree more. Seeking help on multiple forums when you have a technical problem is most certainly not an issue in my book.

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

I am not at home right now, but I am pretty sure my computer is HP Pavilion Slimline s3620f PC and I should have made sure of this prior to posting. ThunderZ, I do post regularly on techguy.org forum to get some extra perspective. I always post on bleeping and techguy as I have to do both, due to many times someone not responding to me on either forums. I am a big fan of both forums and have gotten some amazing help on both. I know some people may think that is okay and some may feel I should strictly post to one forum.

The beep code is one strong beep for 10 sec, a pause for 3 sec and then the cycle starts again. have I timed it exactly - No, but I think that is pretty accurate. I'm hoping that you continue to help me and let me know what you think I should try next. Thanks

#12 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

Posting the correct Technical details helps too, and as is said stick to one forum !

OH ! and wait till you get home to find them first !

Edited by doinmeedin, 21 January 2011 - 02:07 PM.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

ThunderZ, I do post regularly on techguy.org forum to get some extra perspective. I always post on bleeping and techguy as I have to do both, due to many times someone not responding to me on either forums. I am a big fan of both forums and have gotten some amazing help on both. I know some people may think that is okay and some may feel I should strictly post to one forum.

Please understand. It has nothing to do with anything other then possibly receiving conflicting information. There is generally more then one way to trouble shoot a problem. Many times more then one way to a solution.

However, depending on your comfort level and personal knowledge it can prove to be confusing, over whelming as well as potentially damaging to your PC.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled assistance. :thumbup2:

#14 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

The model of the computer is a HP pavilion Slimline s3620F. I tried a new Module of RAM and still received the beeping at start up. I guess that leaves us with a GPU problem, motherboard, CPU or could it even be a Hard drive issue. Appreciate any feedback on this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users