Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone please recommend a good headset!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Milk

Orange Milk

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

Well, I was thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, but I am not sure if there is a better one I can find. I don't really want to go too far beyond the $100 range, but if you know a really good deal, mention it anyway.

So yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated! I think it time to migrate away from the built in monitor speakers. :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

IMO. Yopu can`t go wrong with Bose or Koss.

But you will probaly have a hard time finding a full headset as depicted in you link for your $100 price limitation.

You may be able to find a deal or a discontinued model in that range.

#3 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

I remember listening to music and whatnot with my sister's Bose headset, and those were like $150-ish store-bought (but really good).. I dunno, I always assumed you could get cheaper and better quality when buying online, but if those headsets have more quality to them than the Sennheiser, then I may buy them/something similar. The Sennheiser's also looks more.. well, complex. (The Bose I tried looks like this, but it may not be the exact model.)

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

Sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. Many reasonably priced headsets are capable of producing better sound then the average ear can hear.

One thing to keep in mind if you wear them for prolonged periods is comfort. A set of quality Bose`s are on my list to go along with my next build. Not so much for sound quality, though that is a consideration, but for wearing comfort. Both the band that go`s over the head and the ear pieces. I hear Bose does pay attention in this respect when desiging as well as reproduction of sound.

#5 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

Soo if I wanted a good model around $100, but no more than $150, and would last awhile, what would you suggest?

Edited by Orange Milk, 20 January 2011 - 05:06 PM.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Other them recommending a manufacturer there is no way to recommend a particular model

What sounds good to me may not to you. What fits my head well may not yours. Sorry.

If you have a retailer around that carries any headphones then I would suggest you make a trip and sample a few different models. Otherwise about all you can do is count on other peoples reviews. An if-ee proposition at best.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

This looks nice. I use Plantronics GameCom 367 for gaming it works pretty well, it's not perfect but it serves my purpose which is for gaming :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

They look decent, but I most likely will not be needing anything noise-canceling because I do not travel a whole lot. Nevertheless, I have my ideas on what to try/get now..

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

I like Sennheisers and I generally want what I consider a good frequency range (20-20K or more), but I also have a pair of Koss phones which I like (just use for exercise) but are not in the range of the Sennheisers.

With headphones...your ears are the best test. Go somewhere and try those which you think you might be interested in and at least get an idea of the sound that you are likely to get from similar phones by that manufacturer.

I would not necessarily buy headphones from Newegg...you can do a Google or Bizrate check and see that other retailers will offer the same headphones at varying prices.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#10 Orange Milk

Orange Milk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Okay, I am now trying to decide between the Sennheiser's HD 280, 555, and 595. On Amazon, the 595 is only about $130, which seems cheaper than it usually is. I know both the 555 and 595 leak sound, while the 280 is more "closed." However, as long as they don't leak too much sound, it shouldn't be a problem. Right now I'm leaning towards the 595, but I would like some input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users