Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound "default Device" Available

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nexus

nexus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:43 AM

I have a problem with the ISA sound card I just installed, when I first plugged it in all the windows drivers installed automatically and correctly, I restarted but I still had no sound... The strange thing is, when I checked out Sound in Control Panel, I could see the card was correctly installed, drivers and all (under the "devices" option), but under the "Audio" option, I could not choose a default device, the scroll-down menu was like cancelled or something.

Has anyone had this problem? I have tried looking for it on the internet but I never see any solutions for it.
</message>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:03 PM

I'm sure someone knows more about this than I, but I just have a few comments. It seems many of the most frustrating tech problems I have dealt with have involved sound issues.

First of all, which version of Windows do you have?

You mention you have looked online for a solution, but have you looked up your ISA manufacturer online to see if there are any more recent drivers available? Or it is possible you may even need an older driver to be compatible with past Windows versions. I'm afraid a lot of Manufacturers may feel pressured to be compatible with only the latest Windows versions, or it may just become too costly to keep supporting the older ones. I even had one instance where I had to rewire the sound connection plug inside the pc because the circuit for the plug socket on the card was switched.

The fact that you can't select a default sound device seems to imply that it is not recognizing your new card for some reason. Or it is just not recognizing it as a sound device. Try this: Right Click your My Computer icon, select Properties, then click on the Device Manager tab. (I think that is the location for Device Manager in windows 95, 98, ME. If not, it should still be in that general area.) Scroll down the list and look at Sound, video and game controllers. See if there are any alert icons present next to it. I don't think there will be, since your system claims things are running smoothly. But if there is some conflict with another device, it may show up there.

If you haven't already, check out the manufacturer. See if they have some quick tech support or a Q&A system.

Good luck! I hope someone can help you solve the problem!
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users