Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive for two computers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

I use a laptop and a desk top, not at the same time of course. The laptop contains Vista and the desktop XP, though shouldn't be a concern. I mostly use the desktop on weekends and laptop during the week. I have a 500gb external HD which I want to use for both comps for all my data. I know the simple issue is to use the external as my default download but in some instances I'm not sure if it's that easy. For example, using Itunes to sync my player(s). Will keeping the library on the external drive work with both Itunes program on each computer and will they each sync properly when connected to the player? Any issues I need to be concerned about other than the Itunes concern?

Thank you

Edit: Moved topic from Vista to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

i think your good to go if its only a data drive. i have a 1 tb external drive i use between 2 windows 7 machines 1 vista machine and an xp machine. Also you may want to look into streaming your media its not overly difficult and saves moving your drive around.

Edited by pachm, 19 January 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Streaming is a fine idea.
However, if you are thinking of doing it directly from the external drive, I would not unless it has a cooling fan. Many external drives have extremely poor cooling ability. Hard drives do produce heat. Heat shortens expected life span therefor threatening any of your stored data.

Suggested purely as a safety precaution.

Edited by ThunderZ, 19 January 2011 - 10:54 PM.

#4 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Thank you both. The drive doesn't contain a cooling fan, therefore, I'll forego the streaming.

One other concern, is it possible to use it for my emails on both comps? I use Outlook and like to save some emails in designated folders. If possible, how so?

Thanks again

#5 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

ok so I have a similar setup i have outlook on 3 pc`s. and what i do is forward my self a copy then go an check my email on my other rig or sometimes i use a hotmail account to forward to an save it to my other pc. Just a few ideas for you.

Edited by pachm, 21 January 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#6 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

ok so I have a similar setup i have outlook on 3 pc`s. and what i do is forward my self a copy then go an check my email on my other rig or sometimes i use a hotmail account to forward to an save it to my other pc. Just a few ideas for you.

I was thinking of doing just that, as well, but thought I'd first check to see if the drive can be used.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users