Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restored From Disks Sent With Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:25 PM

I used the restore cds included with the computer and noticed that program was read from drive R (didn't know it had a drive R). So I'm guessing that this would be a partition where the "original programs" are located rather than providing cds?

I also have a new copy of XP, complete, not just the upgrade. What would I need to do to clean this machine and install the full XP? Do I have to keep the partition where the old programs are? I don't want to use any of the original programs if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:44 AM

Welcome mama4cats to BC.
You have everything you need. XP will ask you to create an NTFS or FAT32 partition. It will give you the chance to delete all partition (which I recommend) and setup new one(s). Depending on the size of your hard drive I would recommend 2 partitions. The first (C:\) partition for XP and the programs, and the second (D:\) partition for files, pictures,...
This would make formatting and reinstalling XP later less of a job. You would be less concerned with loosing your creative data.
Once the partition is created XP will format the drive and the install will proceed.
If you have question just ask. If you would not mind post the specs about you computer so we can get you more specific advice.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:16 AM

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

My hard drive is 160 GB, how much space do you recommend per partition?

Also, I was going to put in an upgraded sound card, should I do that before or after installing XP? Does it matter?

Thanks again!

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:01 AM

Coooool.:thumbsup: I would consider a 40gb C partition, a 110gb D partition and a 10gb E (Uh Oh) partition. The last partition I use to download programs to. I have them there instead of cluttering up my C partition. For my I have a separate 13 gb hard drive that I download to. It will reduce the work for your scheduled disk cleanup and defrag. Most say it's a waste of drive, but you can always reclaim it later if you need it.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:09 AM

Almost forget if you use '98 and want to use certian program you may have to have a dual boot system. If you do that you will need to decide now. Window 98 needs to be installed first. I would also recommend a FAT32 partition if you are considering it. Hopefully the other members will speak to the need.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:34 AM

I'd say that NTFS offers extra security for your system. And with all the bad stuff out there you need all the security that you can get.

That being said, if you're gonna use Win98 - then you must use FAT32. BUT, you can dedicate a partition to NTFS for Windows XP - and then later on - move the location of the My Documents folder to a FAT32 drive.

Partitioning is an individual thing - you partition your drive primarily to help you organize and backup your data. The arguments over which is best are pretty much all based on this. There are 2 compelling arguments (IMO) for partitioning:
1) If you're going to put your pagefile on an separate drive
2) If there's a problem with implementation for support of drives over 137 gB on your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:12 PM

I will only have XP on the computer so I will use NTFS as increasing security is a primary concern.

I have not used partitioning before, I did read the tutorial about it and understand the concept (vaguely?) but have some questions to see if I am on the right track.

XP and the programs I load would go in C: drive and the only changes to the things in here would be updates and fixes to enhance the operation of the programs, like drivers & stuff like that, right?

When I create, save or backup information, I would use the D: drive to house these things. And say I download a trial of a new program to evaluate that would go in the E: drive so it would not muck up the others?

Will XP automatically reassign other drive letters to the existing removable drives, currently called D (CD) and E (DVD) or do I have to do something to make this happen?

After re-partitioning and loading XP, is there a specific order in which I should load the other programs? Do I need to use the cds again that came with the monitor, printers, etc. because re-partitioning would erase the recognition of these items?

Any suggestions, advice, warnings would be greatly appreciated. I have not done this type of "work" on a computer before and would prefer to do it right. Or at least not render it completely useless.

I appreciate the information you have provided, this is a fantastic website, I look forward to learning more and being able to maintain my system effectively.

S.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:28 PM

You have a good grip on the idea. The programs I load to E drive are the uninstall form. Down load to E then install on C. That way if I ever need to reinsatll I would already have them. Most users just burn a copy to a CD/DVD. I like to be different. :thumbsup:
Yes, Xp will push back the drive letters for you. I have not tried it in XP, but I would believe you could reassign letters just like '9x. You could for whatever reason make your first CD/DVD Y:\ and your CDRW/DVDRW Z:\ .

Just like in previous computers you ownd, once you are setup you don't need to change your partitions unless you want to. But if you decide to there is freeware to do that without losing your data.

NTSF is a good choice. If you can get away without working with windows '9x, you are better off.

As far as loading drivers and update. I cannot see where you will need to use your XP cd much. Put it away some place safe, and write the COA down on the outside of the cd case. When you reinstall windows it's alot easier than trying to copy it off the sticker on the side of the case.

You are going to be fine. Don't get in a rush. Take your time and research what you are going to do. Remember. It's YOUR computer. We can give you advice but it boils down to what you want.

We will be here and good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users