Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space after Removing Programs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mysocialworx

mysocialworx

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

This site looks great. I have reviewed many posts and it looks like the best are here. Thank you for the site and what you do.

Device:
Dell620 Laptop HHD 120G with capacity of 111G Win XP Pro, Office 2007, Firefox, Kaspersky 2011, SuperAntiSpyware

Got a message last Monday "low Disk Space". Moved home videos and iTunes to outboard Seagate. C: drive came up to 6GB. On Tuesday, message returns, "Low Disk Space". I remove 2008 Turbo Tax, 2009 Turbo Tax, and Quickbooks2010. Move data to external Seagate. Run Defraggler. Today, Message returns "low disk space". Move Office data to Seagate. Now have 1.1G. Run CCleaner. Run Kaspersky and SuperAntispyware. Note: I have one data content file that will not delete (access denied). I have also run and have Hijackthis log (attached).
Please advise,
Michael

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2011 - 12:27 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

1) Have you emptied the recycle bin?
2) Run Disk Cleanup and delete all but the current restore point
3) Lower space allotted to Temporary Internet Files Folder. Ditto space allotted to system restore
4) Delete files in Temp folder

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thats a lot of space used up!

Do all that Allan suggests above. Cleaning out all but the last system restore point can recover an incredible amount of space.

Also, check to see if there might be any games on there that you dont play anymore. If so uninstall them. Games can gobble up a lot of room.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

FWIW: A 120GB hard drive only contains 111 useful GB of partitioned space.

The general theories on how much free space is needed for XP to operate efficiently...has been around 15-20%, as long as I can remmber.

My pagefile alone is 2GB on this system...if I had hiberfil.sys enabled, that would be about another 1.5GB.

I don't run System Restore, so I don't have any space allotted for that.

I really see no reason why a 111GB hard drive only has 1.1GB of free space.

Removing programs isn't going to result in significant changes...moving video files and graphics files, along with music files...will.

Louis

#5 mysocialworx

mysocialworx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

1) Have you emptied the recycle bin? yes, after every uninstall and delete
2) Run Disk Cleanup and delete all but the current restore point. Yes. Also, used TFC flie cleaner
3) Lower space allotted to Temporary Internet Files Folder. Ditto space allotted to system restore, Yes
4) Delete files in Temp folder ->used TFC file cleaner

This Dell 630 has been taken over. I uninstalled Turbo Tax, Quickbooks, Adobe Pro, Cleared Java cache and used TFC file cleaner. I moved all photos, videos to outboard Seagate. I'm now working off a backup Dell Optiplex280. I read about p-p sharing and uninstalled or deleted all webex type programs.

Dell630 C: showed 3.6Gb after restart. After 10 min, C; now shows 97.7Mb. This is insane. I feel there is a network sharing bug taking over the C drive. I can provide any logs if you feel this will catch and destroy. Otherwise I can clean the drive and upgrade out of XP. BTW - this has been a great dell630 since 2007.
Please advise.
Michael

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Sounds like malware. Sit tight and I'll report the post and have a mod jump in and move it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users