Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing an 80mm fan

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

I have an 80mm fan that i want to install on the side window of my computer. My case is a BLACK X-CRUISER with an Asus extreme striker motherboard.The fan comes with a 3 pin and 4 pin power connector. What i did was i disconnected one of my hard drive power connector and plug in the fan while reconnecting the hard drive connector with the fan because the fan has a connection on the other side where you can connect other devices. The problem is it seems the fan is taking to much power and my hard drive fails to start properly. I have no ore extra power connectors on my power supply i was wondering where do i connect the fan wire to the motherboard to see if that works

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Do the connections look like this:

Posted Image

Or do they look like this:

Posted Image

#3 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

it has both

#4 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image

IT looks like this

Edited by macdadluke23, 19 January 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Do you have a 3 pin socket open on your mobo? What is it labeled as?

I have never shared a HDD drive power connector with another item but I find it hard to believe that it would cause a problem.

Is this an off the shelf bought PC or a home built?

If off the shelf. Have you added any hardware?

What is the watts rating for the PS?

Edited by ThunderZ, 19 January 2011 - 08:21 PM.

#6 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

Where do I find the 3 pin on my motherboard? This is a custom built pc got it built from cyberpowerpc. My power supply is 850watts also if i shared my connection with one of my dvd drive will that effect my dvd drive.

Edited by macdadluke23, 20 January 2011 - 01:58 AM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

The PS should be plenty. But that does depend on what all is using it. Type of processor, amount of memory, type of graphics card, number of HDD`s, optical drives, additional pci cards, etc.

I can`t give you an exact location of the 3 pin on the mobo. It varies from mobo to mobo depending on make and model.

Also the names given will be different. Some may just be called fan or case fan or something else.

I would not think that having had it plugged into a HDD connection should have effected it. Are you sure it was totally seated? Personally I always try to have fans on there own power lead or no more then sharing a lead with one other fan.
Trying to keep HDD`s, optical drives, and add-on graphics cards, if required on their own PS lead.

#8 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

my mother board is an Asus extreme striker motherboard nForce 680i SLI Chipset
Posted Image

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

From that picture it is hard to tell.

That may be a 3 prong fan connector towards the upper left hand corner. An inch +\- below the red socket. Looks like there may be one or two more on the same side of the board below the two blue sockets above the long white connector located in the lower left hand corner.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

As ThunderZ said, it's hard to tell from that pic.
I blew up the image, and tried to clean it up the best I could.
These look like they could be fan connectors, but I can't be positive:
Posted Image

This is the type of connector you're looking for:
Posted Image
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

Thanks Tg1911.

Much better picture. They do appear to be labeled. Now we wait to see if Macdadluke23 will confirm.

#12 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hey tg1911 I connected the fan to one of the connectors you highlighted (the one below the red connector)and the connector read opt fan 3. When i connect it the fan does not run at all, do i need to connect the 4 pin power connector too.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

Which fan connector did you plug in? From you picture you should have used the 3 hole connector that is in the forefront. This should allow for the mobo to control the fan speed according to temperature.
You could use the larger 4 pin. That would probably power the fan at 100% all the time. You should not, I would not connect both at the same time.

There is also a right and wroning way for the connector to go on. The connector has two raised ridges on what we will call the backside. These should face so that one is on either side of the raised white tab on the mobo connector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users