Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy DVD-ROM in Win98 / Gateway Performance 450

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stilllearning6

stilllearning6

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

1999 Gateway Performance 450 - came with Win98 and Toshiba SD-M1202 , 4x/32x , IDE, DVD-ROM .
The DVD drive bay is noisy , dry scratchy sounding on every reboot even though system boots from HD .

Even when I " disable " in : START --> CONTROL PANEL -->PERFORMANCE and
MAINTENANCE --> SYSTEM --> DEVICE MANAGER and reboot , I still get dry
rumbling scratchy sound from DVD-ROM .

Do not know how to cure , so I am inclined to replace ($50 ).

Does the replacement have to be the exact item ( to be certain that any future installs of an OS
will be able to utilize the CD-ROM install discs ) or can I swap to anything that is on sale ?
I do not know how the BIOS plays a role in this if no OS is installed on a blank HD .
Reading the web informed me that manufacturer Gateway may have installed software
to allow just the OEM Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1202 to be utilized .
I have not learned enough about this topic.

Looking for guidance on choice of replacement hardware DVD-ROM . Exact replacement vs. generic ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

Any IDE drive should work. They are fairly cheap (<40) and all are DVD burners now.
Make sure that you connect it with the red stripe (pin 1) on the IDE cable facing the power connector.
The power connector goes with the beveled side up.

The BIOS and Windows should auto detect it.
Are you running 98 Second Edition?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Thank you for your fast response .

The Gateway Performance 450, Pentium III came with Win98 SE and I upgraded to WinXP , currently with SP-3 as of yesterday.

If I ever do another reinstall ( another new HD ) , I am concerned that BIOS will not operate the newer CD/DVD optical drives .
Is that a valid concern or will all of them just power up / be recognized and operate with the 1999 BIOS ?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

The cd\dvd drives should not matter as all IDE drives are standard.
In fact, my parts supplier tells me that they are having a hard time getting them anymore.

With a system of that age, a large hard drive would be a concern. There may be a limitation on the size of hard drive that it can address.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 stilllearning6

stilllearning6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Great news from you regarding any IDE drive will function/ be recognized .

Your concern regarding 320 giga in a 1999 system appears validated by the documentation that my computer only sees the 320 G HD as a 127 Giga HD .
This appeared when Win98SE was installed and then persisted when upgraded to WinXP SP-3 .
Paid $59 for Western Digital HD , P-ATA .

Thank you for your guidance .

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

Get someone to partition the 320GB drive. Do a 20GB C: for Win98 and the other will be for WinXP. 20GB is penty big enough for Win98. If you want more then buy a bigger drive and partition that. It all comes down to what you use the computer for? :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users