Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP BIOS Update Stuck at "Verifying New Bios Image 100%"

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MML

MML

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

I have a five-month old HP Compaq Presario Laptop, which has been working fairly decently (I've had a few virus scares, and my Norton quarrentined something a twenty days ago). On HP's advice, I just updated the BIOS on my laptop. It's currently stuck at Verifying New Bios Image, and it's at 100% - It's been stuck that way for a half-hour plus. Any advice? What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

You have no choice but to force a reboot and keep your fingers crossed.

#3 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

I've been trying to force one by pressing on the power button, but it won't shut off. Are there any other ways to force a restart?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

Just the obvious (power cord). I'm afraid you may have a problem. I haven't seen a bios flash go bad in years - newer systems have protection against such things happening and some even offer a way to roll back to the previous bios - but it still happens sometimes and unfortunately when it does you may end up with an unusable motherboard. I'm not a hardware expert and you might want to wait for input from someone else, but this doesn't sound good.

Edited by Allan, 19 January 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#5 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Urgh, good thing I have insurance on this thing!! I'll keep waiting for further advice, of course, but thank you so much!!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Not that I've helped at all, but you're welcome anyway. Good luck.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

When flashing the BIOS did you make sure the follow all instructions in the README? On laptops they recommend making sure that you have the power cable plugged in and running of off AC Power instead of Battery power.

#8 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

@Allan - you've been very helpful, honestly :)

@cryptodan There actually weren't any instructions - I got the update through the HP Product Assistant/Advisor. I always keep the laptop plugged in, and it automatically started when I restarted my computer.

Edited by MML, 19 January 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

So you installed the BIOS update via Windows? That is hardly the recommended way of installing any BIOS Updates, as there could be many conflicts that could cause issues such as this on possibly. Antimalware Tools could potentially disrupt the BIOS update and consider it potentially malicious and cause it not to complete successfully. Can you provide us with the exact model number of your lap top so we can determine the exact specs.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

So you installed the BIOS update via Windows? That is hardly the recommended way of installing any BIOS Updates, as there could be many conflicts that could cause issues such as this on possibly. Antimalware Tools could potentially disrupt the BIOS update and consider it potentially malicious and cause it not to complete successfully. Can you provide us with the exact model number of your lap top so we can determine the exact specs.

Many bios updates run from a Windows .exe which forces a boot and installs the bios at that time.

#11 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Urgh, things I don't know - yeah, I was told to run the HP Advisor, it provided the bios update plus an update to my audio firmware.

My exact make and model is a Compaq Presario CQ62-215DX Notebook, Running Windows 7

#12 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:59 PM

On HP's advice, I just updated the BIOS on my laptop.

If the flash goes bad, HP should have given you a case number. Call support back with your case number and explain what happened. They should give you instructions to ship the laptop back and have it fixed. I recommend taking pictures of the laptop before you send it back, just in case something gets damaged during shipping. :)

Edit: Your warranty should be good having owned it 5 months.

Edited by rigel, 19 January 2011 - 04:01 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#13 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

@rigel - Yep, I still have my case number and my warrenty info/proof of purchase. On line with HP Tech support now, too! Thanks so much!

Any further advice, from anyway, is appreciated!

#14 tomeo

tomeo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

i just got the exact same thing - i got an HP G62 laptop with windows 7 home premium, came with the annoying HP advisor thing that kept reminding me of what i should update and what not, and all i had to do was select which of the updates it recommended i wanted to install and it just did it by itself. this time it recommended a BIOS update, a video update, and a sound update. i said ok, it was doing its thing, until it got stuck at "verifying new BIOS image" and the progress bar was at 100% - for over an hour. i tried hitting enter, space, escape, then power, even for over 30 seconds - nothing. the fan was on at high speed for all this time. i unplugged it from power and it just ran until it killed the battery.
just now i plugged the laptop back in, it actually got back up to the screen where it asks that it's ready for a BIOS update, but when i didnt select any choice for a few moments it just said the BIOS update failed, and a bit later windows just booted up, and everything is working! :D
now in the update center it says it failed to update the video driver, no mention of the BIOS. i'm just glad i didnt lose my comp.
i wouldnt recommend this laptop to anybody though - the screen is horrible, there's a super high pitched noise coming from the damn thing, and the annoying HP advisor thing - i'd return it if i hadn't got it for free.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

just now i plugged the laptop back in, it actually got back up to the screen where it asks that it's ready for a BIOS update, but when i didnt select any choice for a few moments it just said the BIOS update failed, and a bit later windows just booted up, and everything is working! :D

That's good to hear. That's actually the way newer systems are supposed to work - if a bios update fails it's supposed to revert to the previously installed bios automatically. As I said, I haven't seen a failed bios flash kill a system for a long time (it used to happen ALL the time in the old days).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users