Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Setup CD Not Locating Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LA Freddy

LA Freddy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

Was trying to fix a malware problem and now the machine won't boot. Booted to an XP setup disc to try to enter Recovery Console and it isn't finding the hard drive. Simple BIOS test appears to locate the drive, though. Specifics below. I was referred here from the malware forum, I hope this is the correct place to post and apologize if it is not. Thanks for any help you can give!

Computer is now not making it into Windows XP. Went to boot the computer (ThinkPad laptop) and received the following message, between [START] and [END] below:

[START]

Cannot boot from any device

Current boot order and device status
1: USB FDD: -->Device not found
2: ATAPI CD0: Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4083N -->MNo valid operating system
3: USB CD: --> Device not found
4: ATA HDD0: Model HTS541060G9SA00-(S1) -->No valid operating system
5: PCI LAN: Model IBA GE Slot 0200 v1231 -->No valid operating system
6: USB HDD: -->Device not found
7: ATA HDD1: -->Device not found

Excluded from boot order:
ATA HDD2:
ATAPI CD1:

[END]

Before that screen comes up, another screen comes up and then disappears, that reads:

[START]

Intel Boot Agent GE v1.2.31P1

Intel Boot Agent PXE Base Code (PXE-2.1 build 084)

Initializing and establishing a link ...
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

[END]

The last things that I remember doing:
LAST DAY COMPUTER WORKED - basic web browsing and downloading and running the various programs in the "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help".
DAY BEFORE LAST DAY - Downloading and running Spybot and allowing it to cleanse infected files (or whatever the proper terminology is. Prior to that, ran a full scan of C: with McAfee Virus Scan and ran another spyware detection program (don't remember name and don't have acces to see it since I can't get into the computer).

After the last day the computer worked, I definitely did a full shut down of the machine, but there's a chance that the night before that I just sent it to Hibernate instead.

So ... received the suggestion to boot to XP setup disc and try to get to and run fixmbr. Booted with the XP Setup disk in the CD drive. Chose "To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R." Unfortunately, immediately received the following:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

I tried running the BIOS Setup Utility "Hard disk drive diagnostics program" and received the following:

Main hard disk drive | HDD0 :HTS541060G9SA00
Status | Test complete
Result | Pass: Read verification and speed test

Any suggestions?

Many thanks for generously sharing your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Its a SATA hard drive.
Go into the system BIOS and change the SATA mode to AHCI or IDE Compatible (something like that).
Save and exit.
Recovery console should work then.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 LA Freddy

LA Freddy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thank you, this worked. The solutions I'd found searching on Google before I posted all required a floppy drive and installing drivers.

Now I just need to figure out why Recovery Console isn't recognizing my Windows installation ....

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

The SATA drivers require a floppy disk installation yet most systems these days dont have floppy disk drives.
You just gotta LOVE Microsoft!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Well, yes - that's true :). On the other hand, you can easily sliplstream the drivers into an XP installation disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users