Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access the Internet?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

My daughter is running Windows Vista on her Laptop but for some reason each time she clicks on Internet Explorer 8 and types in an address she wants to visit she gets the following message:

go.microsoft.com is not set up to establish a connection on port World Wide Web service (HTTP) with this computer.

Could someone please explain how i might resolve this problem. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

See if this is relevant: http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-networking-sharing/15532-website-not-set-up-establish-connection-www-service-http.html

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

The link above references Norton as the possible cause, but does not link you to the Norton Removal Tool which would remove Norton from the system. If the issue persists after that, then we can chenc for proxies in your internet browsers.

Lets check for Proxies now before removal of Norton.

Go to Control Panel then Internet Options > Connection Tab > LAN Settings nothing should be checked.

In Firefox go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Network Tab > Settings No Proxies should be set up.

#4 defurman

defurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

Sorry for taking so long to reply but i have been sooooooooooooo busy. Firefox was installed on the laptop but i was unable to open it or even uninstall it. I eventually got Internet Explorer to go online by going to: Tools => Internet Options => Advanced and then clicking on "Reset" which is at the bottom of the internet options windows. As for Firefox i simply downloaded a fresh install and was given the option to replace the old install which i duly did and now both browsers are flying lol.

Thanks for the help both

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users