Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use air compressor to blow out computers?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

I was looking into getting a little air compressor instead of continually buying $6+ compressed air in a can...and I work on quite a few computers where it would definitely be worth having a little compressor. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, any recommendations? Any PSI specifics? Anyone else using one that they have had good luck with, nothing too fancy, just something to blow air!

I don't know if this is the right topic location, sorry if it's not!

Airbrush compressors? I don't have any ideas about specs for this.

Thanks!

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

An air compressor might be too powerful.

Check your local Big Lots or Dollar Store if you have one.
I get compressed air at Big lots 3 cans for 9 bucks.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

most air compressors you can regulate the air flow and in the long run it is cheaper if you keep your pc nice and clean. If it doesn't have a regulator you can buy an inline one and an air filter as well to keep out moisture. I have used a full size compressor for over 10 years on my pc`s no problem just remember to block the fans from spinning and to use a filter.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Unless you have a dry filter for your air line you will be introducing moisture to your components, not a good idea since this can cause a short when you fire up the computer. If you do have a dry filter then you are running the risk of generating static electricity, another really bad idea. There's only one other thing that comes to mind in conjunction with this that is worse, that is to use a vacuum cleaner to clean out the case, this is a great electrostatic generator.

I would suggest purchasing a retail can of air. The compressed air is a noble gas which will not generate static electricity when used.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Two very good if`s pointed out by Pachm and Dc3. If the compressor does not have a regulator capable of reducing the air flow down to around 2 to 3 psi. and does not have an air drier then I would suggest to continue using compressed air. As Eyesee pointed out, it can be found at reasonable prices if you shop carefully.

Edited by ThunderZ, 19 January 2011 - 08:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users