Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD IASTOR.SYS Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brycee

Brycee

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hi so I have a Dell xps 400 with windows media center 2005.

On startup I get a bsod and on the bottom it says there's a IASTOR.SYS error. I did some research and found that I need to change the Sata operation from RAID Autodetect / AHCI to RAID Autodetect / ATA in System Setup.

But when I do this I get a unmountable_boot_volume bsod.

I then searched and found I should put the xp cd in and run the recovery console but my computer wont boot from the cd rom or usb. (Yes I changed the boot sequence)

Any advice? :(

once I get booted up I am suppose to get the updated drivers then switch back to RAID Autodetect / AHCI. (I think) :|

@Allan, Nothing is new just randomly started doing this. Newest thing would probably be little things like installed malwarebytes/Chrome couple weeks ago.

Edited by Brycee, 19 January 2011 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hello Brycee and :welcome: to BleepingComputer

@Allan, Nothing is new just randomly started doing this. Newest thing would probably be little things like installed malwarebytes/Chrome couple weeks ago.

When replying to a question asked by another member, please make sure to use the "Reply" function at the bottom of the topic. Do not edit answers into your original post. The reason for this is that edits are not tracked by forum notification software, and the member will remain unaware that his/her question has been answered. As a result, you may not receive further replies.

~Blade
Forum Moderator

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

IASTOR.sys BSOD's can be caused by Malware, but to make sure you are not infected you would need to post in the Malware Removal section. Also IASTOR.sys is a driver associated with Intel based motherboards. Since you are getting the unmountable_boot_volume I would go and make the changes in your BIOS to let Windows see the SATA Drive as an IDE one. Sometimes Windows has issues booting from a SATA Drive

What are you trying to accomplish?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

<<On startup I get a bsod and on the bottom it says there's a IASTOR.SYS error.>>

Please post the entire error message, not just what you think is important :). It's all important.

<<I did some research and found that I need to change the Sata operation from RAID Autodetect / AHCI to RAID Autodetect / ATA in System Setup.>>

Can you post a link for this "research"? The ultimate authority on BIOS settings...is generally your system manual or motherboard manual.

<<But when I do this I get a unmountable_boot_volume bsod...>>

Does that mean that...when you don't change the BIOS settings...the system boots...or does it just mean that you don't get the Unmountable Boot Volume error...but you get another?

<<...but my computer wont boot from the cd rom or usb. (Yes I changed the boot sequence)...>>

Are you following Dell instructions?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 January 2011 - 03:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users