Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Wifi Screwup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

Belkin Wireless G+ Router

- PC 1: Macbook, plugged directly into router
- PC 2: Win Vista, plugged directly into router
- PC 3: Win XP, belkin wireless card
- PC 4: Win XP, netgear wireless adapter
- PC 5: Android tablet

I could not remember the password on my router, and needed to add my new tablet. So, I reset the password on my router, for access to the wireless network. It was set at 128-bit WEP. (WPA-PSK, if I set it, does not work. The computers not within 5 feet of the router say "limited to no connectivity" and will not acquire and IP address. I once heard something about high encryption screwing with getting a good signal... No clue if that's true, though.)

I generated a hex key based on a complex password I made up. Said password came to 13 hex pairs. Entered into my android tablet the whole key, and I connect just fine. If I attempt the same thing on the windows XP machines (the other two devices that *need* to be connected wirelessly - the macbook is always docked, so it's fine if I'm plugging it directly into the router for now, but the airport doesn't work when I disconnect), I receive an error telling me that:

"The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexidecmial characters."

I have tried the whole hex password, as well as the ascii text characters, and I'm still getting the error message. I'm starting to bang my head against a wall, here as far as figuring out what I did wrong.

Alternately, I have put the MAC addresses of all 5 devices into the router, and can enable the mac address restriction - allow only certain ones to connect to the router - and turn off the encryption, to see if I can connect. I'm not comfortable enough with that idea to pull the trigger on it. I'm afraid I've left something off and my network will be unsecured, OR my network will be secured and I'll have accidentally locked myself out of my router.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

It is likely the wireless cards on the xp machines are not compatible with WPA-PSK encryption.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Belkin Wireless G+ Router

- PC 1: Macbook, plugged directly into router
- PC 2: Win Vista, plugged directly into router
- PC 3: Win XP, belkin wireless card
- PC 4: Win XP, netgear wireless adapter
- PC 5: Android tablet

So, PC 3&4 as mentioned above is the ones you are having trouble connecting wirelessly, correct? You said your router is a Wireless G+ (as in wireless N also?) Make sure your wireless card/adapter supports your routers standard (such as wireless b/g/n). If your router is a Wireless G Router, You need a Wireless G card/adapter.
Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

According to my research and text books 802.11 b/g/n are all backward and forward compatible. The system will however operate at the slowest protocol. So if you have an 802.11n router and a 802.11 b/g NIC the network will run at the b/g speed.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users