Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good Pc Games You Should Be Playing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

Since the the holiday season is upon us, I thought that I would highlight some good games that I think you all should be playing. These are games that some have never heard of before; but, I think they are some of the best out there. Some games I have for Playstation of Playstation 2, but they are also available for PC (you gotta love developers for releasing games so that everyone can play them!! :thumbsup: ). Here are some of my personal favorites:

1) Beyond Good & Evil

This game is simply amazing. I got in in January of 2004, and I have been in love ever since. Words alone cannot describe how great this game is. It has everything; stealth, action, fighing, an excellent story; something for everyone. You play as a photo journalist named Jade, who begins to investigate a government conspiracy. Like all good games, things are not as they seem; prepare for intrige and disturbing revelations. The environments are gorgeous, the voice acting is excellent; everything about this game is above and beyond what you would expect. This game is available for PC, Playstation 2 (I have this version), Gamecube, and Xbox. You can download the PC demo here:

Beyond Good & Evil Demo

Unfortunatly, this game didn't sell well; it may be hard to find, but it should not be that expensive. It is one of my favorite games ever. I highly recomend that you give it a try.

2) Monkey Island Series

These games are a dramatic departure from Beyond Good & Evil. Instead of being extremly serious, they are about as wacky as you can get. The games (there are four in all), revolve around a wannabe (later fully fledged) pirate named Guybrush Threepwood. Our airheaded hero crosses paths with other eccentric characters such as: the handless wuss Meathook, the convicted felon Otis, the Swordmaster Carla, the fast-talking salesman Stan (who sells various things throughout the series), the Voodoo lady (that's her name. No really.), the shipwrecked hermit named Herman Toothrot, the confident and powerfull goverenor Elaine Marley (the love interest), and the villian the Ghost Pirate LeChuck. And this is just the first game!! (My favorite is the talking skull Murray, who shows up in the third game!!)

The games (supposedly) take place in the 17th or 18th century. However, the surroundings are strangly modern (fast food restaurants, cable TV, radar, neon lights, etc.). And the characters know that they are in a video game! Some of the humor is very strange (one stage actor in the third game managed to condense all of Shakespeare's plays in a 35-minute play that he calls "Speare!")

These games are point and click adventures for the most part; mini games like Monkey Kombat (the fourth game) are also very fun. Even though I usually like platformer of RPG games, I really like these games!

Here are the games in order:

Secret of Monkey Island - the one that started it all, and the first one I played.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - the sequel. Most Monkey Island fans like this one the best (I don't. It seemed too Bugs Bunny for me. And the whole "revenge" thing seemed too overdone; but that's just me).

The Curse of Monkey Island - the third one. And my favorite!! :flowers: It had the right balance of plot and humor, and it had (in my opinion) the best cast of the series.

Escape from Monkey Island - the fourth one, and probably the most hated among the die-hards. But I thought it was okay. I thought that some of the plot contradicted earlier games, but oh well. This was the first MI game in full 3-D. Since I have no 3-D card, I bought the PS2 version.

Full info on the series can be found here:

World of Monkey Island

The above site has demos, game sypnosis' and buying info. Unfortunatly, Lucas Arts, the company that made these games, seems to have forgotten about them (they only sell Star Wars crap now). You may be able to get ahold of copies on those online auction sites, but it will be a hard hunt. If you can get copies of these games, I highly recomend them. :trumpet:

Well, those are my current picks. Anyone else have any good PC games they recomend? My only requirement is that they not be mainstream or highly popular!!!!!! We all know about GTA and Star Wars Battlefront and the like. I want to give games that have been overlooked by most of the gaming industry a chance to be discovered. So try something new. I will be on the hunt for other obscure games. Post your findings here, please! Thanks! I look forward to trying other games deemed "outside the box!"

Peace! :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:56 PM

Lol, i loved the monkey island series. I played one of the adaptations on the Ps2 and laughed my *** off the entire time. I loved the humor.

However, i feel that some of the puzzles were too abstract. Their solutions just didn't seem plausible in any way (one particular problem was finding a cologne that smelled like a certain sea captain).

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

Sam & Max: Freelance Police

Another "point and click" game. However, this one is even more bizarre than the Monkey Island Series. You play as a talking and upright walking dog named Sam, and your partner is a two foot tall rabbity thing named Max. Your goal is to solve the mystery behind the disappearence of a carnival's two main attractions: Bigfoot, and Trixe The Giraffe Necked Girl. The humor and the surroundings are so surrel; some may be turned off. However, this game will make you laugh out loud a lot. Just be sure to have a walkthrough handy; some of the puzzles can be kind of contorted.

I am still on the lookout for good, not-so-popular games! I just don't want this thread to devolve into another 'CallofDutyrulesnoStarwarsBattlefrontisbetter' conversation. C'mon, people; try something new! :thumbsup:

BTW, you all still have to play Beyond Good & Evil. I have just started playing it again, because I love it so much. This will probably be my sixth or seventh time playing it. YOU MUST PLAY BEYOND GOOD & EVIL!!!!!

Whoops. I hope that didn't sound like an avertisement :flowers: . I just :trumpet: this game!!! Later!

#4 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

Sims series and Sim 2 series are great games!

#5 Mechanized Death

Mechanized Death

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

It's great to see there are still fans of the classic LucasFilm/LucasArts adventure series out there. Monkey Island and Sam and Max are fantastic games, and if you like them, I also recommend trying Maniac Mansion, Loom, and Grim Fandango. These games are nothing short of brilliant, and I guarantee you will be blown away by them. Loom in particular, although dated by today's standards, has one of the most original, haunting storylines I have ever seen in a video game.

Another game that passed under the radar of most gamers when in debuted in 1995 was Pop Rocket's Total Distortion, an absolutely hilarious romp through the dark underworld of an alternate dimension in search of some good footage for your music video. This was the first game I had seen that was made entirely using Macromedia, and it had an almost endless amount of jokes, puzzles, mini-games, and pure wit embedded within it. Highly recommended if you can find it, although it would take some tweaking to get to work on most modern systems, since it was a Windows 3.1 game.

As for newer games, I've been playing an obscene amount of Katamari Damacy since I acquired it last year. For those unfortunate ones who haven't heard of this little diamond in the rough, it's a Japanese import wherein you control a pint-sized alien creature whose job it is to "roll up" the contents of the world into one giant ball. If it sounds strange, believe me it is--much stranger than I can possibly put into words. But that's precisely what gives Katamari its charm. It's also the second-most addictive game I've ever played in my entire life, right behind DMA's classic Lemmings, of course.

A sequel to Katamari Damacy, titled We Love Katamari, was released quite recently, but I haven't had the chance to play it yet. If it's anything like the first one, though, it will be nothing short of perfect. Both Katamari games are available exclusively (as far as I know) for Playstation 2.

#6 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2006 - 11:56 PM

Yes, I have heard of Katamari Damacy, but I have never had the privelidge of playing it. Maybe I will rent it now that I have actual money in my bank account.

I have played Maniac Mansion, but I never got very far. It was a very odd game (I no longer have it, and the computer I played it on has been obsolete for years!).

Since we are getting into the realm of PS2 games, might I suggest:

Shadow Hearts Covenant - This game is an excellent RPG (in layman's terms, Role Playing Game) that takes place in WWI Europe and Asia. The cast is a little odd, and there is almost no effort to be historically accurate, but the story and the humor are unmatched. I like it. And I hope you all will too! :thumbsup:

#7 AL...

AL...

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:58 AM

Lemmings.

Lost time, sleep, weight, SOH, social life, sanity, with the added bonus of very strange dreams followed by an empty feeling when you finnish it.

I loved it :-)
Your interests (Check Length), Your location (Check Length). What if I dont need to check my length?
Religion has a built-in defense system: anything that questions a belief, no matter how logical the argument is, is the work of "the devil" by the very fact that it makes you question a belief.
Don't eat yellow snow.

#8 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:09 AM

lemmings was a fantastic game i used to play that on my amiga when i was a baby lol but the best game has to be bubble bobble that game was the best :thumbsup: .

also has anyone ever played dungeon crawl thats a pretty good game if a bit lacking in the graphics department.
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users