Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent web browsing issues, can still ping

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sniktawd

sniktawd

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:55 AM

I have been having intermittent web browsing issues on a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. I will be browsing the web normally and within 1-2 minutes, one of the sites I am attempting to navigate to will time out. After this occurs, I can no longer browse to any websites. However, I can still ping the sites I am trying to reach. If I restart my browser and attempt to navigate to them again, they will load immediately. If I open an additional browser during a 'stuck' period and attempt to go to a website, it will also time out. However, if I close the original browser, the additional browser will then immediately load the page. The problem seems to occur most often when visiting sites with lots of images (i.e. facebook).

I have these issues when using WiFi, but I have not been able to test for them using a wired connection. The computer is brand new. I am using Google Chrome to browse, but the problem is still present when using Internet Explorer.

I have tried the following to resolve this issue:

Uninstall all Norton software, using remove programs and the Norton removal tool
Use an alternate DNS (tried two different DNS servers)
Disable IPv6 (still disabled)
Disable Windows firewall
Reset winsock catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack
Disable Bonjour service

I have detected no improvement after doing any of these things. I am hesitant to do any sort of reinstall, as I am studying abroad and can't afford to risk completely losing internet access.

Any help would be appreciated.. I have been scouring forums for the past week trying to find a solution - no luck.

Thanks,
Dan

Edited by elise025, 19 January 2011 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hello and welcome to BleepingComputer!

I removed your HJT log so this topic can stay here since on first sight no malware is involved.

First of all, try to reboot in safe mode with networking and see how the browsing is there.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

1) Does this happen with all browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari) or only IE?
2) Please try the hard wired connection and let us know if the problem still exists.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

1) Does this happen with all browsers (Firefox, Opera, Safari) or only IE?

@ Allan, from first post:
". I am using Google Chrome to browse, but the problem is still present when using Internet Explorer."

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

Okay. Well to further isolate the cause it would be helpful if you tried a hard-wired connection.

#6 sniktawd

sniktawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

Problem still occurs in Safe Mode with Networking. I have not been able to try a wired connection yet. I can replicate the problem by going to a site with a large number of images, such as Google Image Search or Facebook Photos. Roughly 80% of the images will load. After this, I have trouble browsing.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:09 AM

You can try to reset your router. If you are not sure how to do this, please give me your router's specs (manufacturer, model, number).

regards, Elise

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

Okay. Well to further isolate the cause it would be helpful if you tried a hard-wired connection.

#9 sniktawd

sniktawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

I have no access to the router(s). This problem occurs when I am using Wifi from various sources such as the dorm I live in, coffee shops, etc.. I am looking for a place to buy an ethernet cable so that I can try a hardwired connection, but I have a small language barrier to deal with.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

Do you have authorization to use these "access points"?

#11 sniktawd

sniktawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

Yes, of course. Most of them are encrypted with AES or WPA2.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#13 sniktawd

sniktawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:25 AM

Done.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z5sLrWjVjAqOUDifHPjh38h

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:52 AM

I would try the internet connections without using Windows Firewall, because that maybe interfering with the other security devices that are in place at these access points.

I would also make that you are using the latest driver for your hardware.

#15 sniktawd

sniktawd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

I would try the internet connections without using Windows Firewall, because that maybe interfering with the other security devices that are in place at these access points.

I would also make that you are using the latest driver for your hardware.

I have already tried this - there was no improvement.

What is interesting to me is that I can restart my browser and sites will start working. This results in me repeatedly closing and opening Chrome in order to go to websites.. No such problems occur when using a different computer (or even my Ipod touch) with the same access points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users