Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Issues on a Virtually New Laptop.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Multiverse Labyrinth

Multiverse Labyrinth

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

While I have purchased this laptop and am only posting about it now, I have had problems with it since around the time I got it. It started without a problem telling me to check the disk, wait 10 seconds, press any key to skip, etc. Although with this screen pressing a key would do nothing and it would simply freeze at 1 second left. Occasionally the laptop would be able to skip this sequence with a key press and I would just leave it on. Well I finally went through CMD and disabled the screen from coming up.

A couple months down the line I kept on getting booting error. "Windows has failed to boot please run start-up recovery" or something along the lines of that was displayed. After multiple attempts at unsuccessful recovery I decided to reformat. I noticed a partition on the disk called SYSTEM FILES. I decided I'd find drivers on the internet or what not a clear the entire hard drive of both the SYSTEM FILES partition and the normal Windows 7 partition. After reformatting everything ran smoothly... That is until I put in the driver disk. After reboot the computer wouldn't start. I reinsert my Window's 7 disk, go through the boot menu, and attempt a repair. I notice that the SYSTEM FILES partition is back. I reformatted my computer yet again and started anew.

After doing the same thing without putting the driver disk in windows still fails to boot and prompts me to repair. I see the SYSTEM FILES partition is there again. I decide to just repair the start up function with the disk and all goes well. A few log ins later the log-in takes a good 10-20 minutes and then comes up with an error (which I don't recall, but I believe it had to do with a Kernel Error or perhaps that was the BSoD I encountered later). I do a full Windows 7 repair and then use the window's 7 memory check which doesn't say my memory has any problems.

Currently the computer will occasional BSoD, won't recover from power loss, often has to be repaired, and when using programs (I've noticed it happens in Winamp) it will simply freeze stopping everything including sound.

This is still under warranty, but being in college I can't just ship my laptop off for a couple weeks to get it repaired.
What I believe to be happening is that the SYSTEM FILES partition is somehow effecting the Windows 7 files or something of that nature, but I could be completely wrong given that I have no knowledge of hardware errors.

(Not completely sure what board this goes in)

Edited by Multiverse Labyrinth, 19 January 2011 - 12:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

I can't just ship my laptop off for a couple weeks to get it repaired.

I don't think you have any alternative. None of that should be happening, and I think it's very likely the system has a hard drive fault. You could endeavour to confirm that by obtaining a suitable test utility, either from the hard drive manufacturer's website if they offer one, or a third-party utility that reads out SMART status. (Some laptops also have a HDD test as a BIOS option.) But whatever the actual cause, it seems to me as a technician that you almost certainly have a hardware fault, and you appear to have tried every other likely cure. The partition structure you describe sounds normal for Windows 7.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Multiverse Labyrinth

Multiverse Labyrinth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:06 AM

You could endeavour to confirm that by obtaining a suitable test utility, either from the hard drive manufacturer's website if they offer one, or a third-party utility that reads out SMART status. (Some laptops also have a HDD test as a BIOS option.)

I'm not sure the legitimacy of this program, but apparently I have a problem.

Attached Files

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,423 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:44 AM

Sadly, that's what I was expecting to see - the drive will have to be replaced, inconvenient as that is...

#5 Multiverse Labyrinth

Multiverse Labyrinth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

Called tech support a couple days ago, spent around 10 min on the phone (2-3 of which waiting in queue). Luckily I'm under warranty still so they're shipping a hard drive without off to me after giving me the option to send it on or have them send me the hard drive and install it myself. Obviously I chose the latter option. Overall I'm quite happy about this fortunate turn of events, and thanks for all your knowledge and help with the matter.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,423 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

That sounds like the best result in the circumstances. Good luck.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

Since you are going to have to install the operating system and drivers, be sure that they send you the CDs for this as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

Member has posted additional information in his new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic390867.html

To avoid confusion for everyone and cross posting I am closing this topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users