Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I fubar and cause infections with use of Registry Cleanups?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bambi75

bambi75

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

At the beginning of December, I posted a question pertaining to miscellaneous error messages I was receiving. Through the responses and discussion, it was brought to my attention that the registry cleaners I use (CCleanup and Norton 360's optimizing) may, in-fact, cause more detriment than good.

The member who assisted me mentioned, in so many words, that the registry clean-ups might have left me open to infection. In addition, she suggested the malware/spyware/viral files could potentially "hide" from detection tools due to CCleanup and Norton auto-deleting particular registry files.

Here is the direct link to the Registry Cleanup Correspondence.

My concern is now heightened because of an error Norton 360 is indicating. An orange "FIX NOW" exclamation point with a notation of "ATTENTION: Your PC requires disk optimization to improve performance" is ever-present. Following the programs instructions, I click the "Fix Now" box - which proves no avail. Instead I receive an error: "Drive B: Other Error."

I ran MalwareBytes (showing zero problems) and SuperAntiSpyware (showing 2 adware files that seemed to of been deleted); alas, the error still shows on my Norton 360.

As per the other member's suggestion, I am here beckoning assistance; hoping to determine whether I have un-welcomed guests amidst my computer files.

With kindest regards and immense gratitude,

Bambi

p.s. I run Windows 7. I am not certain what other system info is needed but my detailed system information is listed under my profile page.

Edited by bambi75, 18 January 2011 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users