Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Win98FE

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

Hi all,

What I really want to do is make my old PII-350 MHz box useful again. I pulled it out of the garage the other day, where it had been gathering dust for several years. To my amazement, it fired right up. The clock need to be reset, but other than that it still worked pretty well.

It runs Win 98 (First Edition), which is really lacking in terms of networking and USB support. In hindsight, I should have upgraded to SE when I had the chance. :huh: I do still have the original Win98 install disk.

I would like to repartition the 30GB drive and make room to load a Linux distribution and turn it into a dual boot system. Everywhere I go I'm cautioned to back up the drive before proceeding (just good sense anyway). It has a floppy, 100MB Zip, and CD-ROM (no write). It also has a network card, and I can connect it to my network. I can run the backup program that came with the OS, but can't seem to make it write anywhere but to the disk (C:). I can network it to another (Vista) machine with disk space, but don't have permission to write to that drive. I'm guessing that's a Vista issue. Being FE, USB drives aren't supported (no drivers).

Any good ideas out there?
Bill253

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

This is what I would recommend only back up important files and documents from that drive, and those files are totally up to you. I would gather up a list of the components first and then seek out Windows 98 drivers for your computer, so in the event you want to go back to 98 you have all the drivers. I wiould then download and run a linux live CD to make sure your hardware is supported. A lot of the legacy/older stuff has been removed to make room for newer stuff.

You can copy the stuff to your Vista drive by making it a shared resource on your Windows 98 machine.

Where abouts in New Mexico are you at? I used to live in Gallup, NM before I joined the US Navy.

Edited by cryptodan, 18 January 2011 - 10:53 PM.

#3 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Cryptodan,

Thanks for the reply,

I was able to copy all of my 'important' data (photos, documents, etc.) to the Vista drive using my home network, so they're safe. I get nervous connecting the relatively unprotected win98 machine to the network, but no problems so far. I can also move things back and forth between machines by using a Zip drive (100 MB used to be so huge!)

As far as drivers go, I don't know enough about them or where they're stored to feel like I've backed them up. I have original install disks for Win98, motherboard, video card. Maybe some others if I look around.

My problem with linux so far is that I haven't been able to get Xwindows to play nice with my video card (Number Nine i128). I've been trying to use the live CD for Puppy Linux (Wary 5.0). It works well on several other machines I have here, but not on the win98 box so far. This part of the discussion is probably better suited to the linux forum.

Anyway, I'm reluctant to give up win98 because it works on this particular box.

I have a copy of Gparted, but have not tried it yet. Should probably just give it a try and reinstall win98 if I need to, but am concerned about losing updates, drivers and the like.

I'm just south of Albuquerque about 20 miles. Have been in the Land of Enchantment for almost 30 years now, nice to see that green chile and tortillas are easier to come by in other parts of the country than they used to be. B)

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Try another LiveCD - http://www.livecdlist.com/

Its nice to see another New Mexican online. Welcome to the forums.

What kind of video card do you have on this machine?

#5 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

The video card is an Imagine 128 (i128), PCI bus, not sure if it's the 2 MB or 4MB version.

It was manufactured by Number Nine Visual Technology, a long since defunct company out of Lexington, MA. I still have the users manual and original 'display drivers' disks (for Windows, Windows NT 3.5, and for IBM OS/2). I think the driver was built for Win95 (or 3.1?), disk label doesn't specify.

This card works well with Win98 on a Samsung SyncMaster 770 TFT 17" flat panel monitor, set at 1024x768 True Color (32 bit).

With Puppy Linux, probe Xorg wizard picks up the i128 driver, but doesn't detect the monitor or suggest settings. The same monitor works fine on my other (Vista) box running Puppy Linux, so I know it's not the monitor. Puppy Linux (Wary 5.0) attracted my attention because of it's claims to support/run on old hardware. It (Puppy) also works well on an aging win95 HP Pavillion ze4125 laptop. I recently made a post inquiring about the i128 problem in the Puppy forum hosted by Murga, no response to that yet. May try the Linux/Unix forum here later if I get no help there.

Seem to recall issues with X working properly on this system a decade or so ago. I've tried several distributions over the years with limited success. Just got the bug back recently... now that the NM winter weather is less inviting to go play outside (Boy Scout Klondike Derby this weekend on Mt. Taylor...) :thumbsup:

Thanks for your interest,
Bill253

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

Yeah I dont think that card will work well with GUI Mode as support maybe stripped out of it. You could try older versions of Linux to see if it works.

#7 Bill253

Bill253
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Will look into Drive Image XML to see if I can't use it on my Vista machine to image the win98 drive and store it on the Vista drive (or a USB drive attached to the Vista box) via the network.

May have to try to find a different video card for the win98 machine to use Linux in GUI mode. While I don't mind sinking time into it, I really don't want to sink much money into a box as old as this.

Both of these topics are probably better off discussed in different forums on this site. Really glad I came to this site though, lots of neat stuff to explore and learn.

Bill253

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users