Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

freezing at random followed by very long start up and required consistency checks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fleanutlance

fleanutlance

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

I am not exactly sure what my problem is but this is what is occurring.

Starting yesterday my computer has been freezing at random. The screen does not go black and I can still move the mouse around but no folders or programs will open when it occurs. Usually it is itunes or my internet browser (firefox) that will completely stop. One example was I had no programs running other than itunes playing music and the computer froze mid song.

After these freezes occur it takes my computer a very long time to start up compared to how it has ran in the past. My computer then does a consistency check to check on disk consistency. I allow it to do so.

I do not think I have installed any new programs or downloaded anything just before these issues started occurring.

Sorry if this is not descriptive enough, but this is all I can think to share.

thank you for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi :).

Two things I would do...

Uninstall iTunes completely and see how that impacts your system. You can reinstall it later, but it's possible that it is damaged and thereby dragging your system down.

I would run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html , disregard the fact that they refer to chkdsk /f, run chkdsk /r (the /f function is part of /r).

Louis

#3 fleanutlance

fleanutlance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

thank you for the response, I ran r/ as you stated and will update with my progress

#4 fleanutlance

fleanutlance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

I have tried to run the chkdsk /r twice now, both times it gets to 83% and then stops running. I even let it try to finish overnight and it stayed at 83% after 12 hours.

It stops at 27416693 of 34037041 free clusters processed

no luck thus far

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like the hd is shot. You can download the diagnostic utility from your hd manufacturer's website and run that, but I don't have high hopes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users