Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

I have DISKEEPER installed on my 'puter, but when I try to run a Boot-Time Defrag I get a error that says it can't locate the Correct command to run the Program.
So, I contacted their Support. They wanted me to Run a Command Prompt for "SECEDIT", however when I do that Command Prompt comes back with: Windows doesn't Recognize this as a Internal or External Command...Haven't Heard anything Back as of Date...
I went to Microsoft and they Said something about Retrieving this off the Disc under Backup, Unfortunately My Disc is for SP2, and I upgraded to SP3 and get an error when trying to Access the Info from my XP/SP2 Disc.
Is there a Work-around for this??

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2012 - 06:14 AM.
Moved from DOS/PDA to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

You should be performing a defrag from within Window XP Safe Mode.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Although I have never used it, I found it on my system in the \windows\security\database folder.
In fact, it is the only file in that folder.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

You should be performing a defrag from within Window XP Safe Mode.

Now that I'm finished up with that Virus Problem...
Here is the Error Message I get on Boot-Up:

AutoNTFS 13.0.839.0 (1010)
AutoNTFS Processing Volume C:\
AutoNTFS ??? We did not find the Diskeeper Boot Time String in the Registry Key
AutoNTFS ??? Failure to Reset the Boot Time execute Registry Key

Diskeeper said the Run the "Secedit" in Command Prompt, and I typed it EXACTLY as it was listed from Microsoft, but it came back (In Command Prompt) as SECEDIT is Not Recognized as a Internal or External Command, Now What?
PLEASE, keep in Mind I am a Noob here, lol....

#5 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

Although I have never used it, I found it on my system in the \windows\security\database folder.
In fact, it is the only file in that folder.

Well I found "It" in the Same Place as You suggested, but HOW to get it to work is beyond me....Command Prompt doesn't seem to Recognize it??

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 22 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

I dont use diskeeper but as I said secedit is on my system
In the run command try it like this:

c:\windows\security\database\secedit

That is where it is located on my system.
You could alwaus search your system for secedit to see if it is there. It may not be there at all
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

I dont use diskeeper but as I said secedit is on my system
In the run command try it like this:

c:\windows\security\database\secedit

That is where it is located on my system.
You could alwaus search your system for secedit to see if it is there. It may not be there at all

Yes, I found it there, except my Pathway didn't use "Database", unfortunately my system doesn't recognize it :blink:

#8 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

Here's what Diskeeper said to do: "CD C:\Windows\Security" (without the quotes) and then hit the Return or Enter key on your keyboard. Now the command prompt should read C:\Windows\Security\ and you will now be able to issue the secedit commands in the Command Prompt window. Follow the PDF that was previously sent to you to correct the issue.
Then I went Back to the Original Command they sent me: "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose"
Still can NOT get it to work, still Keep getting This is Not Recognized as a Internal or External Command, I'm STUCK :angry:

#9 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

This is just a hunch, and probably a bad one at that but...

Can you go back to your "Command Console" and at the prompt type: path then hit the "Enter" key? You should see something like:C:\>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

C:\>
If you don't see C:\Windows\system32; in there some place then that may be why the "secedit" command is not recognized. Although I should think you'd be seeing quite a few other problems if it isn't there.

#10 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

This is just a hunch, and probably a bad one at that but...

Can you go back to your "Command Console" and at the prompt type: path then hit the "Enter" key? You should see something like:C:\>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

C:\>
If you don't see C:\Windows\system32; in there some place then that may be why the "secedit" command is not recognized. Although I should think you'd be seeing quite a few other problems if it isn't there.

Here's what Came Up :

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Bin;C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper;C:\PROGRA~1\DISKEE~2\Diskeeper;C:\Program Files\Common Files\DivX Shared;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hmm... Back at the command prompt again, try typing: dir c:\windows\system32\secedit.* it should find one file SeCEdit.exe.

If the "SeCEdit.exe" file is there, you should be able to, from the command prompt, CD C:\Windows\Security and then replace the command:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose with:
c:\windows\system32\secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verboseIt shouldn't be necessary to do the above as the "system32" folder is in the path but stranger things have happened.

If "SecEdit.exe" isn't found in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder try doing a "Windows Search" on "secedit.*". Make sure you put a check mark in the "Advanced Options" box under the "Search Options <<" section, and that the 3 boxes "Search system folder", "Search hidden files and folders" and "Search Subfolders" are checked too.

Alternatively you could try searching for it using "Everything" from Voidtools. If the "secedit.exe" file can't be found, do you have your Windows install, or re-install CD? Hopefully it can be found there.

That seems like a rather long PATH to me, and not sure why
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live; and
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\ are in there twice.

Edit: Missed it in your first post, that you have the XP(sp2) disc. What's the error message when you try to access the disc? Can you try to access the XP disc on another computer? All you're wanting to do is grab that "secedit.exe" file and put it on a usbstick so you can transfer it to your computer. Don't think it makes a difference that you've upgraded to SP3.

Edited by FlannelBack, 29 January 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#12 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Well, I located it in: C:\WINDOWS\security\secedit (File showing 0 KB),
Going deeper: C:\WINDOWS\security\Database\secedit (AppFix Package 2,056KB)

So, what Pathway should I use in Command Prompt to Access this??
Since this one is a AppFix what do I NEED to Open it with, it shows an extension of .sdb which my system doesn't recognize.

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

The error you're receiving when trying to execute the secedit command occurs because the system can't find the file "SeCEdit.exe" in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder nor can it find the file anywhere in the PATH. To make use of the "secedit.sdb" file you need that "SeCEdit.exe" file.

Need to find the "SeCEdit.exe" file some where and put it in the "C:\WINDOWS\system32" folder.

Did you do a dir c:\windows\system32\secedit.*(<- note the asterisk at the end of the line) from the command prompt? If you did what was the result?

The SeCEdit.exe file and the secedit.sdb file are two separate files, the first is an executable(or command) and the second is a database or template file, to be used in conjunction with SeCEdit.exe command.

#14 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:26 AM

The small utility Dial-a-fix by DjLizard contains a "secedit.exe" file within the "Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip" download.

After you've downloaded that zip file, extract(unzip) it. This will create a new subfolder named "Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24". Using Windows Explorer, look in the \Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24 subfolder and copy the secedit.exe file. Then navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and paste the secedit.exe file.

If, when you try to paste, you receive a message asking you if you want to replace an already existing secedit.exe file, answer No and skip the rest of these instructions.

At this point you'll need to open up a "Command Console" window and at the command prompt follow the original instructions given to you from Diskeeper Support:

• Type CD C:\Windows\Security and tap the "Enter" key, make sure the prompt now looks something like C:\Windows\Security>
  • Type secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose and tap the "Enter" key.
TBH, I don't know if this "secedit.exe" will work for your setup, it should. It will either work or you'll get a different error message than: 'secedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Hope this works, 'cause for the moment I'm out of ideas.

#15 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

The small utility Dial-a-fix by DjLizard contains a "secedit.exe" file within the "Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip" download.

After you've downloaded that zip file, extract(unzip) it. This will create a new subfolder named "Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24". Using Windows Explorer, look in the \Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24 subfolder and copy the secedit.exe file. Then navigate to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder and paste the secedit.exe file.

If, when you try to paste, you receive a message asking you if you want to replace an already existing secedit.exe file, answer No and skip the rest of these instructions.

At this point you'll need to open up a "Command Console" window and at the command prompt follow the original instructions given to you from Diskeeper Support:

• Type CD C:\Windows\Security and tap the "Enter" key, make sure the prompt now looks something like C:\Windows\Security>
  • Type secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose and tap the "Enter" key.
TBH, I don't know if this "secedit.exe" will work for your setup, it should. It will either work or you'll get a different error message than: 'secedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.Hope this works, 'cause for the moment I'm out of ideas.

Well that Just happened to be the RIGHT Idea :thumbsup: at least getting the secedit to run in Command Prompt, had Several Errors(Warning 5: Access is denied. Error taking ownership of machine, & Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified. Error setting security on c:\program files) but about 70% got Re-Configured, NOT exactly sure what that Command does anyways, but it ran all the way through...

Edited by IdahoBiker, 31 January 2011 - 01:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users