Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Using Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

When I run a TRACERT Command for a specific address, I get asked to Copy/Paste that information, But I don't know How, and when I Right Click in CP It doesn't give me the option for Copy...I get Select All, but when I click on that, I can't Copy either, Not sure about what "Mark" means....
So, What do I do to COPY the Results from the TRACERT, so That I can PASTE Them into a Chat Window, and/or Save them as Readable Text in My Docs???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A. Gillenormand

A. Gillenormand

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I don't have too much experience with that, but you might try pressing Enter after you've Selected All. That seems to be the trick in Vista, and, if I recall correctly XP, and it sounds as if you probably have Windows.

Upon googling and poking around a bit, I figured out that the Mark option allows you to select a specific section of the text (though it apparently must be a rectangular box) such that you could use Enter (as above) to copy only the information you need.

Don't know if you still need help, but perhaps someone else is wondering about this.

#3 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I don't have too much experience with that, but you might try pressing Enter after you've Selected All. That seems to be the trick in Vista, and, if I recall correctly XP, and it sounds as if you probably have Windows.

Upon googling and poking around a bit, I figured out that the Mark option allows you to select a specific section of the text (though it apparently must be a rectangular box) such that you could use Enter (as above) to copy only the information you need.

Don't know if you still need help, but perhaps someone else is wondering about this.

Yes, I have Windows XP/SP3 (wouldn't have Vista anything on my System, lol)
Hitting "Enter" just repeated the Command.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

Here is an easier way to mess with copying and pasting from the command line:

1) Bring Up Command Prompt via Start then Run.

2) Type in the command such as ping: ping 192.168.1.1 >> ping.txt

3) Navigate to the current directory via My COmputer and open up ping.txt

4) Edit > Select All

5) ctrl+c

6) ctrl+v will paste it to a new post.

#5 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Here is an easier way to mess with copying and pasting from the command line:

1) Bring Up Command Prompt via Start then Run.

2) Type in the command such as ping: ping 192.168.1.1 >> ping.txt

3) Navigate to the current directory via My COmputer and open up ping.txt

4) Edit > Select All

5) ctrl+c

6) ctrl+v will paste it to a new post.

OK, the "Issue" occurred when I was having Live Chat with My IP Support, they asked me to run a TracerT and Copy/Paste the Results in the Chat Window, well I ran the TracerT, and came back with some miserable results, which I would have loved to Show them as I'm having really SLOW Connection/Download Speeds & Data Transfer Rates, which I have been attributing to "Them"...

By the Way, when I do Right-Click in CP what does "Mark" mean anyways?

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

How about trying this in the "Command Console" window:

• At the command prompt, type your tracert command
  • When it's finished, right-click on the title bar of the "Command Console" window
  • In the context menu, highlight the "Edit" option with the mouse and from the sub-menu select "Mark"
A block cursor will appear at the top of the "Command Console" window. Using the arrow keys(not the mouse):

• Move the cursor to the point you want to start copying
  • Hold the shift key down while using the arrow keys to highlight the area you want to copy
  • Press the "Enter" key
The highlighted area has now been copied to the clipboard. You can now open Notepad, some other editor or in this case your chat window and paste what you just copied from the "Command Console" window. You should end up with something like this:C:\>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [209.85.225.103]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.2
2 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms h75-100-236-1.tptnin.dsl.dynamic.tds.net [75.100.236.1]
3 20 ms 19 ms 21 ms tptninhed11-lag1-51.network.tds.net [69.21.152.59]
4 23 ms 21 ms 21 ms cytnindst52-gi0-0-0-6.network.tds.net [64.50.231.97]
5 26 ms 26 ms 27 ms 72.14.218.2
6 26 ms 27 ms 26 ms 72.14.218.1
7 28 ms 27 ms 27 ms 209.85.254.122
8 38 ms 38 ms 38 ms 209.85.241.22
9 38 ms 37 ms 38 ms 209.85.241.27
10 38 ms 43 ms 40 ms 209.85.248.102
11 38 ms 38 ms 37 ms iy-in-f103.1e100.net [209.85.225.103]

Trace complete.

C:\>
To close the "Command Console" window, type exit at the command prompt.

By the Way, when I do Right-Click in CP what does "Mark" mean anyways?

In this case think of "Mark" as meaning highlight or select.
Something else you could try in the "Command Console" window very similar to what Cryptodan suggested, at the command prompt type your tracert command and redirect the output to a text file. For example: tracert google.com >c:\hoptrace.txt

This will create a file named hoptrace.txt in the root folder of drive C that contains the same information as above and can be opened with Notepad. I don't like placing stray files in the root folder of the system drive but in this case it makes the file easy to find. It can be moved or deleted later.

#7 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:17 AM

<FlannelBack>Well I Tried this Part:

How about trying this in the "Command Console" window:

• At the command prompt, type your tracert command
  • When it's finished, right-click on the title bar of the "Command Console" window
  • In the context menu, highlight the "Edit" option with the mouse and from the sub-menu select "Mark"
A block cursor will appear at the top of the "Command Console" window. Using the arrow keys(not the mouse):

• Move the cursor to the point you want to start copying
  • Hold the shift key down while using the arrow keys to highlight the area you want to copy
  • Press the "Enter" key
The highlighted area has now been copied to the clipboard. You can now open Notepad, some other editor or in this case your chat window and paste what you just copied from the "Command Console" window.

Unfortunately, When I Opened Notepad, and Pasted I came up with: ] 9 , Tried Again and Came Up with: ] T , So I figure something on my System isn't working right (Maybe the :busy:, lol)
But, I Tried the 2nd Part of Your Solution and that Worked, so at Least something works...Still Don't Understand why the Command Prompt > NotePad > Paste > Doesn't work, but at Least I have something to work with...THANKS!
:thumbup2:

#8 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

Cryptodan put the thought in my head.

The ]9 and ]T remind me of the ascii esc code character(s) from the old DOS days. They were used in batch files quite a bit. But, seems to me that the ascii.com file or ascii.sys file iirc had to be run or loaded first. Usually during the boot sequence of a "turn key" system, before the esc codes could be used. hmm...

Edit:
I guess that's ansi.sys or ansi.com
Oops, failing memory sticks :wacko:

Edited by FlannelBack, 27 January 2011 - 02:27 AM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:21 AM

Lets try creating another account with administrative rights and see if this is a corrupted profile issue. Go to Control Panel then user accounts.

#10 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Lets try creating another account with administrative rights and see if this is a corrupted profile issue. Go to Control Panel then user accounts.

Ok Did that, Now What? Shall I Log-Out from my Old (Regularly Used) Account, and Log In with the New Account? Not sure How to proceed here:blink:

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Yes log into the new account and perform the above.

#12 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Yes log into the new account and perform the above.

OK, Did that, took me to Windows Welcome and setting up my Personal preferences, and I clicked Yes? Now it doesn't want to Open that Account when I Log-In, so I have to Re-Boot and go back to My Original Admin. Account, do we have an Issue to worry about??

#13 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:23 AM

Try keyboard shortcuts, instead. Ctrl+A to select all; Ctrl+V to paste.
Nosce te ipsum.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

Are you still experiencing issues?

#15 IdahoBiker

IdahoBiker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:30 AM

Well the Issue(s) got Resolved on their Own, as My Hard Drive Crashed, and My OS did a Nose Dive, lol....
Do appreciate ALL the Assist However!!Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users