Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP! Blue tint on screen, then blue screen of death, now ???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DiscoingGD

DiscoingGD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hello, I am a new member, though I have been brought here when I've googled problems in the past. Unfortunately, there's so many things happening that they could be unrelated or it could be 1 giant problem. I can't find anything on it so here I am.

First off, here are all my specs I can think to give:
Windows XP(Fully updated)
Old emachine (T3410)
AMD Sempron 3400+ Processor
300W PSU
160GB HDD (IDE)
512MB DDR(Came with) and 1GB DDR(Upgraded 1yr ago) 400MHz (PC-3200)
NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU(Built in MoBo)(Fully updated drivers)
48x CD-RW/DVD drive
Hooked into Samsung 40" 1080p TV by S-VGA

Now I'll start my problems:
First, my screen would intermitently get a blue tint to it. Computer would still function normally.
-Tried regular PC monitor and different VGA. I still had the problem.
-I searched google and found other people with my video card had the same problem. Most claimed a new video card would fix it.

But then, when I went to turn my computer on, it would get to the loading windows screen and get a quick BSOD, then it would automatically resart itself. It would keep doing this.
-I can't get the whole message, but the BS said UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
-I'm not 100% sure what that is and the microsoft website explanation didn't help.
-Friend told me to run chkdsk because he thought it was the hard drive.
-Unfortunately, I couldn't get the command prompt to come up. I have an emachines system recovery disk. Is that the same thing as the Windows startup disk.

Now the mother of all problems. Now, when I turn it on, it doesn't show anything anymore.
-All fans are spinning at a fast speed like when you first turn on the computer but they do not slow down.
-The power button lights up when I turn the computer on and it will shut it off when I hold it for a few seconds.
-The yellow hard drive light in front of the computer goes on once when it starts up and then nothing.
-Because the fans keep spinning and the power light stays on, there is no indication of the computer restarting itself.

I have shared all I know and believe to be relevant. I know it is an old, slightly crappy machine but it has performed well enough for me. Also, if it isn't my hard drive that went, I have important and valuable stuff on there(pics, music, school, etc.). A video card couldn't have caused the above problems, could they? My other guesses are hard drive or motherboard. I highly doubt it is a software issue because nothing has been added and the latest video driver was on there long before any problems showed up. But, I am in no way an expert and I do not know what symptoms can be caused by what. Hopefully, with my long story of what happened, someone out there can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

Go to the website of your hard disk manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to a cd, boot to that cd and run it. I'm guessing the hd is dead.

#3 DiscoingGD

DiscoingGD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

Go to the website of your hard disk manufacturer and download their diagnostic utility. Burn it to a cd, boot to that cd and run it. I'm guessing the hd is dead.

The only problem about that is that there is no video anymore so I can't run anything or see any diagnostic results. I don't know if the computer is actually doing anything besides turning the fans and lights on. The cd drive still works but, will the cd just run automatically and maybe fix the problem?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

So you can't even see a display at boot? Sorry - didn't realize that. Did you replace the video card?

#5 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

Do you have a smaller monitor that you can test your graphics problem on? Have you checked your cabling and vga ports for any damage?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#6 DiscoingGD

DiscoingGD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

So you can't even see a display at boot? Sorry - didn't realize that. Did you replace the video card?

Not yet. I wanted to see if there was a good chance of that being the problem before I bought one. I've heard of people with the nvidia 6100 getting the blue tint I was getting on my screen and it going away when they replaced the video card. I can also see the video card being the problem for not getting any video. But can it be related to the blue screen error message I was getting when the computer kept restarting or is that a second problem I'll have to fix when/if I get the video to work again?

Also, I have 2 VGA cables and they both work with other computers. I tried the CRT that is hooked up to my parents computer but no luck. The CRT knew the computer was on though. I'm also 99.99% sure it is not the VGA port on the computer.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

Just buy a new video card from a retailer who will accept a return if it turns out not to be the problem.

#8 DiscoingGD

DiscoingGD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Just buy a new video card from a retailer who will accept a return if it turns out not to be the problem.

Alright, I give that a shot in the next few days and let you know what happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users