Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer closing programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mlsgr76

mlsgr76

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Im not sure how else to describe what it is going on, so I will try.

My computer closes down firefox if I'm on it. It will also shut down java. Now sometimes java shuts down and I can refresh and everything comes back. But then the firefox will shut down. If I try and reopen firefox, it might last a couple more minutes before images start disappearing and then it shuts down again. So I go and do something different on the computer, if I have yahoo messenger open, I can talk for a few minutes after the issues with firefox but then it shuts down everything else open. I have to restart. But if I go to start and the shut down. It wont do it, it freezes and then I have to press the power button to shut it down and restart.

Also, sometimes I will get an error about plugincontainer.exe.

I havent been able to get a proper shut down and restart in awhile.

Im not sure what the problem could be.

Im running windows xp pro sp 3
t2300 @1.66ghz mean anything
980 mhz, 2.00 gb of ram

not sure what other information you need.
Thanks Monica

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

Hi Monica and wlecome to the forum!

Sounds to me like you are infected with something.
For starters, download install, update and run both MalwareBytes AntiMalware and SuperAntiSpyware. Get the free versions and do the complete scans with both. This could take a while so go kill some time while they are scanning.
Remove all elements found and reboot if prompted to do so.

If this does not clear up your issue let us know so that we can get you moved to the Malware Response Team.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Neither MalwareBytes nor SuperAntiSpyware is an antivirus utility. And while I agree you should run scans with them, you should ALSO run a full system scan with your installed Anti Virus utility.

#4 mlsgr76

mlsgr76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

I downloaded both programs and run it and nothing came up. I also ran avg, my antivirus and nothing came up either.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:40 AM

Then it's more than likely one of your add-ons in Firefox that is causing the problem. Go to your firefox folder and start firefox in safe mode. Does it run okay? If so, you need to disable your add-ons and then add them back one at a time until the problem recurs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users